Poll: would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?
Poll Options
would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?

Eh, well, it's not that different. If anything breaks, we'll worry about it later.

http://pastie.org/1907031

The Following User Says Thank You to sequel7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Ive just chrooted into the bt5 image on my laptop with qemu, im going to try cleaning it up a little, removing uneeded stuff, maybe get rid of gnome and get xfce or something.

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by azkay View Post
Ive just chrooted into the bt5 image on my laptop with qemu, im going to try cleaning it up a little, removing uneeded stuff, maybe get rid of gnome and get xfce or something.
i gotta try this in qemu later. last night i tried this script, slightly modiefied, executed from n900 https://wiki.kubuntu.org/ARM/n900/ it is supposed to add key maps and optimize ubuntu for n900 using some work from the meego n900 git. didnt quite work, so i think ill try it on a freshly extracted image today. it might be of interest to you if we can get it working.

According to apt-get, gnome isnt even in the image.
I apt-get --purge remove gnome gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment, none of them are installed.

So confused.

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
See what comes up with

dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome

or go through the list by hand?

Originally Posted by Captwheeto View Post
See what comes up with

dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome

or go through the list by hand?
Thanks, ended up doing apt-get --purge remove gnome*, took everything off.
Still ends up being 4gb.

I think ill try starting from scratch, then using the backtrack repos.
A clean chroot install of Squeeze is 1.1gb, in an image it would be a lot smaller I assume. Now to install xorg, xfce and see if I can get that much running.

Last edited by azkay; 2011-05-18 at 17:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
looking forward to someone getting this running properly, vnc doesnt really cut the mustard(too slow, unresponsive and unreliable), i like the xephyr window idea from Misiak looks promising.

Originally Posted by shanewalsh247 View Post
looking forward to someone getting this running properly, vnc doesnt really cut the mustard(too slow, unresponsive and unreliable), i like the xephyr window idea from Misiak looks promising.
Are you actually having problems with VNC on yours, or have you not tried it yet? I actually find mine to work sufficiently well. I think any real problems with it are due to the N900 being underpowered for what we're using it for, and I doubt anything else will bring any major improvements. Let me know if I turn out to be wrong!

To be honest, I'm more excited about being able to run the tools in terminal anyway, for which you don't need VNC. A lot of the tools you would actually want a GUI for aren't even included in the BT5 ARM image to begin with (Wireshark, Maltego, etc). The biggest benefit to having BackTrack at all imho is that they've gone through all the effort of getting the dependencies working properly. That's something I've just never had the spare time to really do on my N900.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by shanewalsh247 View Post
But reboots the phone after loading desktop

Did anyone actually try using the apps even from command line? I think I might have screwed my partition with Backtrack, because while I try running some apps from Backtrack in command line I get error "cannot execute binary file"... Could someone check if for example "john" command works or shows some error? (I call it the same way as it works on my desktop Backtrack, so I don't think it's john's error message)

Last edited by misiak; 2011-05-18 at 21:09.

Originally Posted by sequel7 View Post
To be honest, I'm more excited about being able to run the tools in terminal anyway, for which you don't need VNC. A lot of the tools you would actually want a GUI for aren't even included in the BT5 ARM image to begin with (Wireshark, Maltego, etc). The biggest benefit to having BackTrack at all imho is that they've gone through all the effort of getting the dependencies working properly. That's something I've just never had the spare time to really do on my N900.
100% with you.
And real sad to see they did not put aircrack in there