If anyone doeesnt mind taking the time i wouldnt mind a starcraft emulator. By the way OSEMUTECH hows the website coming?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Biel/Bienne - Switzerland
Originally Posted by raulito View Post
A Windows Emulator would be nice if WORD, and POWERPOINT docs could be utilized. They are the only things missing for me on the tablet.
Full Ack! Although KDE is a usable solution there.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Originally Posted by Nace0 View Post
By the way OSEMUTECH hows the website coming?
Sorry, I am just getting over bronchitis and was very sick in bed for a week (Thursday I was finally well enough to go back to work thanks to antibiotics and codeine cough syrup).

Instead of the website I've been messing around with the much faster Macintosh emulators I built in Scratchbox the last two nights.

Like I said, it will probably take a few weeks for the website and will probably include my observations on DOSBox, Qemu, Bochs, Basilisk II, Mini vMac, Pear PC, and (hopefully) SheepShaver (anyone know of any other operating system emulators that run on NITs? Garnet VM maybe.). I need time to experiment with the emulators on my N800 to see their strengths and weaknesses.

Are you waiting on me for a step-by-step instructions on installing Windows 9x in DOSBox?

instead of emulation I got a easynote XS from Packard Bell. That's a cool device running XP. It makes my family of Mobile Devices complete!

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
Are you waiting on me for a step-by-step instructions on installing Windows 9x in DOSBox?
I wouldn't mind some clearer instructions than I've been able to pick up in this thread and the links from it so far.

This is my understanding to date (please supplement / correct where wrong!):

- DOSBOX provides an emulated PC virtual machine with an Intel processor (8086? 80286? 80386?), SiS video chipset, SB16 sound card and other common devices, so should be capable of running any Microsoft o/s that would run on that machine, e.g., DOS, Win 3.1, Win 9x. There seems to be some doubt about Win98?

- Performance reports range from poor to acceptable, depending on who's posting. The difference may be how the configuration file dosbox.conf file is optimized for the platform and the applications. A couple of people have posted their dosbox.conf, and there's one at the above-referenced site, but don't know which one is "best" for the N800. Maybe one has to be prepared to tune for specific applications? Where are the parameter descriptions and suggestions on how to tune?

- We can download DOSBOX for Maemo from here: http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html. Should we use the "N800/N810 optimized testing build", which I assume is a variant of DOSBOX 0.72? Or dosbox_0.72-0.1_armel.deb? Or a different version?

- For some reason the gz contains just a file called Dosbox which does not appear to be an executable program, so you have to go to shell root mode and mark it executable yourself after copying to the device (why????). Is that still true if you install the .deb version? May need some libraries, which I think can be found at the above-referenced site? Do these need to be installed manually? In red pill mode?

- You have to run DOSBOX from a shell command line (in root mode? or not?). The dosbox.conf file you want to use has to be in the current directory.

- DOSBOX doesn't access the N800s built-in keyboard popup, so you have to install the "xkbd virtual keyboard" as well, or have a bluetooth keyboard. You need to start xkbd at the same time as dosbox on the same command line. There's a mapper.txt (key mapping file) - how is it used? Where does it go? Is it part of xkbd or not?

- DOSBOX doesn't show up in the N800s task list, so if you minimize the window it gets lost, and you have to find the process ID to kill it. (How do you exit cleanly? Is there any other way to get rid of it?)

- Before you try installing a Windows o/s, DOSBOX starts out with ...? Nothing? A version of DOS? You have to install Windows from your own install disks before you can use it.

- The main setup difficulty is apparently to create a bootable disk image from which you can run the Windows setup within DOSBOX. Many of the instructions deal with this, depending on whether you are starting from a CDROM or floppy disks. Some have suggested that it may be easier to install the Windows version of DOSBOX on your PC, install the operating system image there, then transfer the file to your N800 (how? what file? or is it a directory of files?)

- From within DOSBOX you can use the Mount command to mount directories from the N800 file system (including SD cards) as virtual drives.

Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
- For some reason the gz contains just a file called Dosbox which does not appear to be an executable program, so you have to go to shell root mode and mark it executable yourself after copying to the device (why????). Is that still true if you install the .deb version? May need some libraries, which I think can be found at the above-referenced site?
lots of questions, this one I may answer, the permissions are lost if you package the file the "wrong" way. And if a file is executable or not depend on its permissions. You shouldn't come across this if you install the .deb. The only library needed is SDL. And yes you find it there.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I wouldn't mind some clearer instructions than I've been able to pick up in this thread and the links from it so far.
Sorry that I can't answer all of your questions completely at the moment. I don't have access to my N800.

I used DOSBox running on Windows XP to install Windows 95 (a,b OSR2, & c OSR2.5) and Windows 98 (First Edition) on an image file following the directions given on the following webpage:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopi...bb8d253a101742

I then copied the img file over to my SD card and setup the dosbox.conf to boot off the image file (directions for booting off an image are in the link above).

The deb installer puts the executable in a directory (/usr/bin ?). To replace it with the updated dosbox, you need to sudo gainroot and overwrite the one in that directory with the one in the gz (mv /media/mmc2/dosbox /usr/bin ?). Then give it execute permission (chmod +x /usr/bin/dosbox).

The dosbox.conf you want to use should be it the directory that your terminal is in, or you can specify the path to a customized one you create to use (dosbox /media/mmc2/dosboxgames.conf). You don't need to be in root mode to run dosbox.

If installed, xkbd launches automatically when dosbox is launched. You can run alternative xkbd layouts with DOSBox by using a pipe (xkbd -k /media/mmc2/mykeyboard.xkbd | dosbox)

DOSBox comes with a basic open source version of DOS, compatible with MS-DOS.

You can leave DOSBox's DOS cleanly by typing "exit" at the DOS prompt. To exit it uncleanly, you can use CTRL-c at the terminal prompt that dosbox was launched from.

Last edited by OSEmuTech; 2008-02-10 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gentux View Post
l... the permissions are lost if you package the file the "wrong" way. And if a file is executable or not depend on its permissions. You shouldn't come across this if you install the .deb...
Sounds like the issue is with how OSEmuTech suggests replacing the installed copy of Dosbox with one set up on PC Windows.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
- Performance reports range from poor to acceptable, depending on who's posting. The difference may be how the configuration file dosbox.conf file is optimized for the platform and the applications. A couple of people have posted their dosbox.conf, and there's one at the above-referenced site, but don't know which one is "best" for the N800. Maybe one has to be prepared to tune for specific applications? Where are the parameter descriptions and suggestions on how to tune?

.... stuff deleted
These questions indicate you should not be testing dosbox.

The next dosbox.deb release will fix your issues.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
The next dosbox.deb release will fix your issues.
Really? Past experience makes me think that would be miraculous, given that Linux developers aren't generally noted for their documentation skills.

But I'd be happy to wait a bit if there's going to be an improved .deb soon. How long do you estimate it's going to be?