Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
WOW this is sooooo shocking news, how the hell can such a young talented guy be taken away from his talent like this?.

I am in totall shock, much so i had a look at his history and found this....http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34496
HE knew something was wrong and i am not even sure if he told anyone as i don't know him, only his work, all i knew was he loved to travel with his work and was such a dammm good talented guy and now this?.

Why? please someone tell me why he died if possible.

Why only the good die young???????????? ffs.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
If you people can let me state something in the name of TMO's community here...

Dear Mrs.Tracy.,

Yesterday we learned of the unfortunate and untimely death of your husband. There are no words to describe the utter grief that we are feeling right now, and we cannot possibly imagine the shock and sorrow that has been thrust on your family as well.

We will always remember fondly the experiences he genuinely provided to this utterly kind community. It is true that he was taken from us too soon, and we think you share our sentiment that it feels a little unfair that such a smart and talented young man's life has ended with so much living left to do. It is my firm belief that bad things that happen to good people serve a greater good, and Gary's death will, I believe, teach us all something if we only let ourselves be taught. Right now, we all are trudging through the mourning process, but with support from friends and family, I think we can find ourselves whole again.

During this difficult time for your family, we would like to extend a helping hand if you will have it, any way that is possible. Please accept our sincerest condolences and know that we are here through it all if you need us.

Yours in mutual grief,

TMO Community

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
^ This. I don't know Tracy (and didn't really know Gary, but greatly admired his work), but I understand that she's just had a new baby. As my wife has just had our first baby, this feels extremely poignant to me. How can we help?

Hopefully at the very least someone who knows her (Kathy?) can, after a few days, direct her to the kind words said on this thread, and the similar ones on forum.meego.com and the mailing lists.
is the paypal payment address still valid? (e: I mean the one he asked donations to some time ago) If I remember correctly, it was Tracys account... and the address could probably be found from paypal payment history...

e: it might have been wrong alert, I combined two different donations now, sorry!

ee: triple-edit: I didn't mix up things, amazing. I found the paypal address. now someone just should ask her if the address is valid and if it is, I can post it here...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2011-09-15 at 12:37.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Romania
Strange how sad I feel about Gary's death, although I didn't have the chance to meet him, but reading all this comments, I feel that I have known him for a life time. Sincere condolences to his family and to us, Maemo5 Users.

R.I.P Gary!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gorgezilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
First time I saw lcuk was when he gave a short Maemo talk at LinuxTag 2008 in Berlin. He was always full of energy and with lots of ideas, and a pleasure to chat with on IRC.
I'm very sad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I found the paypal address. now someone just should ask her if the address is valid and if it is, I can post it here...
As I don't like Paypal I asked him for IBAN and Swift(X) at that time, and I still have his answer around... just don't know how to share it (don't like posting account info in public), and somebody should make sure first that it is welcomed by his family.

andre

(X) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBAN / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9362

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If someone reviews his posts here, they could probably get a moving overview of his career with regard to tmo and Nokia. He appeared to enter the scene as an experienced programmer who had become interested on open source. He quickly developed Liqbase, which startled users like me because it was so fast and useful and because it opened a whole new window on the possibilities -- I think that was at first for the N810 and N800. I was sorry to see that there weren't many further enhancements that I noticed for the N900, but I assumed he was very busy -- after all, he mentioned early on, he had a family to provide for.

He was one of the most relentlessly cheerful, upbeat, and sincere people I ever encountered online. He always seemed to be here on this site in spirit -- he had a way of popping up in obscure threads with valuable comments as if he had been everywhere all along.

It is especially sad that we should lose him now, as things here seem to be coming apart at this seams. We could use his cheer, enthusiasm, and determination right now.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It is especially sad that we should lose him now, as things here seem to be coming apart at this seams. We could use his cheer, enthusiasm, and determination right now.
He is here right now on this thread, on this community asking and hopeing everyone can feel his cheer, enthusiasm and determination.

Everyone please take over where he has left it because i know he wants this community to come together like it never has before.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
is the paypal payment address still valid? (e: I mean the one he asked donations to some time ago) If I remember correctly, it was Tracys account... and the address could probably be found from paypal payment history...
There's a paypal link still on http://liqbase.net/, but yeah, someone should check that it's still valid (maybe after a few days, though). No point giving money if it's not being picked up at the other end.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
The account is indeed of Tracy, so it should stay/remain valid...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect