Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
funding is slowing down, but will be fun to see what happens in 2-4 days

BUT it really has to pick up somewhat MUCH or this will not be funded

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This also gives you an indication what an epic over price Samsung, apple & Co takes for their high end devices. Selling their devices for 500-800 EURO when they not even pushing their speclimits to the max. The could push the specs so much faster since their is just a few heads running the "component store". That just another great reason why this devices is needed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
approx 12 hours and the lines will cross...
http://ubuntu-edge.info/

So I got into the Ubuntu Edge deal at $675 and funding was going great. Now sales are moving as slow as an injured turtle.

I think things are slowing down because the $700 price point is psychologically significant and best fundraising progress would be made at a price around $675 to $699. This could mean more units would have to be produced, impacting profits, but asking the market to wait a year and pay well into the $700's or $800's per device is clearly not working.

I hope they adjust the price scale again, and soon, because it's a lot easier to sell 4 Edges at $600 ($2400) than it is to sell 3 at $800 ($2400). It'd be nice to know the marginal unit cost of producing the Edge in making financial models, but you get the idea.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Hacker; 2013-07-28 at 19:02.

Maemo: Great platform but has a proprietary user interface and other component are closed. Limited to Nokia hardware and some obscure devices.
Android: More open than the rest but google apps are closed and source code can be withheld (in the case of honeycomb). Widely available. Not the best architecture.
BBX: Great Unix like proprietary platform with some open components. Walled garden. Limited to Blackberry hardware.
iOS: Some open components but a locked down proprietary platform that is a walled garden. Limited to Apple hardware
Firefox: Truly open and not a walled garden. Some available hardware. Limited to web apps.
Tizen: Open source and not a walled garden. Uncertain future.
Sailfish: Open Source and not a walled garden. Best of them all. Limited available hardware.
Windows Phone: Proprietary and walled garden. Some hardware is available but all the devices look the essentially the same. Based on that Windows crap.
Ubuntu Touch: Incomplete and has licensing issues. Nice looking user interface. Runs on existing hardware and will have hardware of its own. More available than previous mobile linux efforts. Open source and more open than previous efforts. Not a walled garden.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Got some $ available, 20$ donated, a VERY small number in the grand scheme but should be able to donate 20$ more next month.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
it still dosent kick me ! As it still dosent show any signs of infrared port. Damm ._________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Facts stands the core X11 is different protocol than Mir and Mir is different from both Wayland and X11 this means you have to link upto three binarys version of your app because AFAIK you still need to tell you apps what library dependies you use. Even if you app ITSELF does not access X/Y/Z server API.

because X11 is old they have to provide support for that some years more but now devs has to have two more NEW binarys instead of one new.

One for X11 one for wayland one for MiR.

Second if it was that easy to provide both Wayland and MiR , why has KDE decide to only go wayland route?

You also forget the facts that some apps are closed source and even if we don't like those apps many endusers want them, such as Skype to give one example. Just tell me why those commercial companys would bother to have upto thre different binarys when it already today only support ubuntu in manyu cases. Today you can atleast unpack the deb file and run it on another dist in X11. Tomorrow you cant because it will only work if you have MiR installed.

With the exception of some QtWidgets on some platforms, ordinary binaries are not linked against a specific protocol library with Qt5. Qt5 provides plugins for different protocols and you can choose them at runtime. Even without Wayland and Mir there are currently many different plugins for eglfs, linuxfb (and/or directfb) and xcb (i.e. the standward plugin for X11 now).

So supporting some window protocol is not a matter of an ordinary desktop program (even commercial ones). KDE on the other hand also delivers a complete desktop experience and has to offer some integration into the window manager as well. So if they say, they support some protocol they speak about KWin (and perhaps plasma etc.), but not, say, Amarok or Okular. While KDE and any other party could technically break Qt's platform abstraction by the introduction of some dependence on a certain protocol (e.g. a "Show all windows" button linked to a certain protocol library), it's unlikely that they would do this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think Shuttleworth have lined up some corporate pledgers for the last minute and I wouldn't be surprised if he personally kicks in $5-10M just to get this project funded.

(I got in at $600 level. yay.)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post: