Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Did you notice http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95779?
Current Maemo Community Council member

Thank you Win7Mac, I did go through a couple of those (I didn't find all 4 before). However, my primary concern is not so much connecting to internet through USB but creating a wifi connection later.

With the N9, I can create an ad-hoc connection straightaway, but I want an infrastructure wifi.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far and to anyone that's going to...

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden

Thanks a lot everyone for your support... for any of you that's interested, here's what I do:

Windows: use N9 as a USB modem, connect to internet, share the connection through a Virtual Wifi miniport adaptor and then share the hostednetwork through command prompt. I'd be happy to provide detailed instructions.

I am yet to experiment on Linux

Sorry to bring this old thread back to life... just curious: has anyone been successful in connecting to internet using N9 as a USB modem on Windows 10 yet?

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
no N9 (only N900), and no Windows 10. but have you tried? what happened? make sure to select PC Suite Mode if there is such a thing on N9.

I've connected the N900 to a Windows 10 pc and drivers were automatically installed and it was recognized as a modem.

So yes, it should be very 'easy'

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Thank you sicelo! N9 doesn't have a PC Suite mode, instead it has a 'Sync and Connect' mode, which is what I used to use on Win 7 to use it as a USB modem. However, after I upgraded to Win 10, it has stopped working. All the drivers are installed, Win 10 detects it as a USB modem (I can see it in Device Manager) and when I try to connect using the dial-up connection already set up, it comes back with Error code 618 (port not open).

Any suggestions?

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Are you sure you're connecting to the correct COM port?

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Yes I am also in the US and tethering is blocked here, but back when the Nokia store was still working there was an app called Spoton which worked for tethering.
Not sure where you can find it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
Yes I am also in the US and tethering is blocked here, but back when the Nokia store was still working there was an app called Spoton which worked for tethering.
Not sure where you can find it.
SpotOn for Nokia N9:
http://web.archive.org/web/201501201...content/257297

It is a free app but by appending a /download to the URL results in no installation file.

So you instead have to use the manual method described here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140804...ippling-issue/

The Following User Says Thank You to BentL For This Useful Post: