Active Topics

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
shanttu,
i can connect to the 3G network using my N900, through USB or bluetooth, on Ubuntu 11.10. i didn't do anything special. just tested it to confirm.
i never got to make this work on Natty but now it's all ok on Oneiric.

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by shanttu View Post
Qt Mobile Hotspot works both with cable and wireless. Excellent! I assume power consumption is not an issue when using usb.
that's not necessarily the case. i've had the battery run out at least once when connected through usb and using mobile hotspot with 3g connection. needless to say it was during extended and heavy use. so generally i have not found power consumption to be an issue.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
i think the problem with ubuntu was due to the network manager version in ubuntu lucid..installing the network manager maverick version solved my problem. however im not using ubuntu anymore but since i started using fedora 15 the problem was not there. confirming the network manager issue.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Germany
can confirm the usb networking issue with ubuntu 11.04 too. i could also fix it with a downgrade of a package (not sure whether it really was nm or some plugin for it). there is a thread in some ubuntu forum about it.