Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Please let's put aside discussing n900 in this community board thread and focus on the community aspects. Will maemo be completely dismantled or will it continue as a community effort as Nokia moves on to meego? Will all of the maemo documentation, projects, etc. automatically be moved to meego?

Maybe there is no meego user forum because talk.maemo.org is going to be it.

i personally think one of the major reasons why nokia may ditch the n900 because it sold much much more than what they expected. and nokias main objective is to make money, so theyve made more money than expected so they go to the next step

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Let's look at the bright side: those who kept those Maemo Summit T-shirts are now suddenly in possession of very valuable collector items :-)
I thought that as I was putting mine on tonight; no, not the bright (jaffa) orange one and no, not because of the news ;-)

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Interesting news :http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Watergate For This Useful Post:
http://wiki.meego.com/Maemo_and_Moblin_community_assets

I giggled at the comparison. Maemo has so many more things that Moblin and MG... like already released devices!

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Given the switch to a fedora-based distro, how will this impact developers on debian based systems (of which there are many...)?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by Watergate View Post
jaaksi says consider maemo6 a instance of MeeGo so will we see a packaging change as early as then?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
Please let's put aside discussing n900 in this community board thread and focus on the community aspects. Will maemo be completely dismantled or will it continue as a community effort as Nokia moves on to meego? Will all of the maemo documentation, projects, etc. automatically be moved to meego?

Maybe there is no meego user forum because talk.maemo.org is going to be it.
Think that's a very interesting discussion as well.

What's going to happen to Maemo ?

I'm assuming that for Nokia purposes it will be dropped entirely, scrapped in favor of Moblin's code base. Then taking all that left over source code and port it to Moblin so it can benefit from Maemo's source which is already running on real devices, with real user feedback.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just do not see why somebody would want to completely port of Maemo to a fedora system if that means scrapping the existing Fedora codebase of Moblin.

Would Nokia be interested in dropping a lot of the closed source restrictions and making the maemo code which will be dead in a couple of years Opensource so projects like Mer can use them ?

And what will happen to the community nature of Maemo, will the counsel stay ? Will community members in important roles still be welcome ?

Or would it be more a system of coorperations and 'professional developers' like Apple, Google, Microsoft and Palm got ?

I reallize that on his blog Jaaksi talks about a open software platform, but will it provide the same kind of community platform that Maemo's got ?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
I'm sorry but I find this strangely comforting.

Someone who only showed up here, with a major presence, a few months ago to celebrate the non-tabletness of the Nokia N900 phone and told the existing (internettablettalk.com) community to move on with the (N8x0-obsoleting) times now finds the shoe on the other foot.

Sorry.. just found it amusing.

Nothing to see here. Move along...
Did you ever actually read any of my posts? How loud I was in the discussions about trying to reshape the forums so that 770 and N8X0 users could still use them easily and comfortably? How I argued (as a t.m.o. user) for keeping the email lists because others valued them? How I worried that the users of older tablets weren't prepared for the influx of n900 users and the noise they/we would make?

Apparently, despite my 'major presence' you didn't take in any of what I said.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Watergate View Post
Yeah, he's been listening. Good. In fact, this may make the N900 MORE interesting than before.

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war