Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It does make sense. If Symbian was their major product, and brand value diminished, it is all due to the inadequacy of their major product: Symbian

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ saint lucia
From the instant Elop called Symbian a burning platform, their downhill slide got faster. Symbian had been losing their appeal when the iPhone and Android came out. Am not saying Symbian wasn't still loved, I still love it, and Belle is beautiful, but they didn't evolve it until of late. Which was too late. If Anna was introduced in 2008/9, things would have been brighter today.

Bad leadership killed the Nokia brand. They had the most feature rich smartphone OS (Symbian), which only needed a new flashy finger-friendly GUI. For some reason they could not deliver it. That's all that was missing. They had a chance of making everything right with MeeGo. The N9 received maybe the best reviews of any Nokia phone ever, yet Elop in his eternal wisdom killed it before it even had a chance. He's such a great CEO.

Last edited by shinogami; 2012-05-23 at 19:24.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
http://brandirectory.com/league_tabl...lobal-500-2012

Sad day for Nokia, ranked in the top 20 last year, it's fallen off the list completely!!!! Symbian killed it.
Lumiaman, I am more Lumiaman than you are

Symbian is a much better mobile OS than anything else on the planet. What failed was that Nokia didn't realize that common people wanted something else than "feature phones" and "communicators". Hence, they didn't do what they needed to do with the OS. At the same time they failed to develop Maemo into a killer tablet OS. They failed to develop Ovi into something that people could use. When they realized all their failures, they failed to hire a real CEO. They hired a MS bean-counter that has his head stuck in the last century regarding how to run a top tech firm in the internet age, a CEO that can't keep more than one thought in his head at any current time.

http://brandirectory.com/league_tabl...lobal-500-2012

Sad day for Nokia, ranked in the top 20 last year, it's fallen off the list completely!!!! Symbian killed it.
Elop closed the Symbian Foundation in November 2010, 'leaked' the burning platform memo on 8th February 2011 and publicly declared Symbian obsolete on 11th February 2011 despite having nothing viable to replace it with.

By the end of 2011 NOKIA's 'brand value' has plummeted and you think Symbian is to blame

Before Elop destroyed Symbian's marketability the handset division had never made a loss EVER - at that time NOKIA's real problem was NSN.

Click on the NOKIA link on that page and read what it says. Let me quote:

"In 2010, Nokia saw volume and value growth in the global mobile device market driven by rapid growth in converged mobile devices. At the same time, the competitive environment in mobile devices intensified, adversely impacting its competitive position in the market. Our device volumes were also adversely affected in the second half of 2010 by shortages of certain components.

However, in the second quarter of 2011 (Q2/2011), Nokia saw a decrease in operating profit of 59.3% to €391 million compared to €660 million in the second quarter of 2010 (Q2/2010). At the same time, net sales decreased from €10 billion in Q2/2010 to €9.3 billion in Q2/2011.This can be related to the 20% drop in mobile device sales from 111 million units in Q2/2010 to 88.5 million units in Q2/2011."

See how that timeline works?

Prior to Elop's act of incompetence / sabotage NOKIA had "volume and value growth in the global mobile device market driven by rapid growth in converged mobile devices"

After Elop's act of incompetence / sabotage NOKIA had a "20% drop in mobile device sales from 111 million units in Q2/2010 to 88.5 million units in Q2/2011"

If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Elop closed the Symbian Foundation in November 2010, 'leaked' the burning platform memo on 8th February 2011 and publicly declared Symbian obsolete on 11th February 2011 despite having nothing viable to replace it with.

By the end of 2011 NOKIA's 'brand value' has plummeted and you think Symbian is to blame

Before Elop destroyed Symbian's marketability the handset division had never made a loss EVER - at that time NOKIA's real problem was NSN.

Click on the NOKIA link on that page and read what it says. Let me quote:

"In 2010, Nokia saw volume and value growth in the global mobile device market driven by rapid growth in converged mobile devices. At the same time, the competitive environment in mobile devices intensified, adversely impacting its competitive position in the market. Our device volumes were also adversely affected in the second half of 2010 by shortages of certain components.

However, in the second quarter of 2011 (Q2/2011), Nokia saw a decrease in operating profit of 59.3% to €391 million compared to €660 million in the second quarter of 2010 (Q2/2010). At the same time, net sales decreased from €10 billion in Q2/2010 to €9.3 billion in Q2/2011.This can be related to the 20% drop in mobile device sales from 111 million units in Q2/2010 to 88.5 million units in Q2/2011."

See how that timeline works?

Prior to Elop's act of incompetence / sabotage NOKIA had "volume and value growth in the global mobile device market driven by rapid growth in converged mobile devices"

After Elop's act of incompetence / sabotage NOKIA had a "20% drop in mobile device sales from 111 million units in Q2/2010 to 88.5 million units in Q2/2011"

If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck.
Nothing to do with Elop. People who buy phones dont read what we read. They see the following: N8 Dinosaur OS, or Fluid and rich iphone or Android. Guess what they will chose. Got nothing to do with Elop. this is all pre-Elop inertia.

Nothing to do with Elop. People who buy phones dont read what we read. They see the following: N8 Dinosaur OS, or Fluid and rich iphone or Android. Guess what they will chose. Got nothing to do with Elop. this is all pre-Elop inertia.
NOKIA's customers are the carriers and large retailers, absolutely they know the score.

Let me remind you again, iPhone was released in 2007, Symbian comprehensively outsold it in every single quarter thereafter right up until Elop made the carriers/retailers drop it like a hot potato. That's a verifiable fact, look it up.

Where is your evidence that Symbian's collapse was just about to happen irrespective of Elop?
Did you read the page you yourself linked to?
NOKIA's sales of Symbian devices were increasing and they stated they could have shipped even more in the latter half of 2010 if it weren't for component shortages.

You love to keep making comparisons to the iPhone but in fact the average sales price of a Symbian device at Q4 2010 was around EUR 155-

It wasn't NOKIA's plan that Symbian would compete at the EUR 650- price level, that was the market MeeGo was to be aimed at.

When I became frustrated with my iPhone's many limitations and went back to Symbian my unlocked 5800 xm cost < 40% of the cost of my carrier locked iPhone.

The N8 was a great phone, photographers and techies would undoubtedly choose it above the iPhone, Joe Schmoe maybe not so much. Of course the N8 was only one Symbian device amongst a portfolio of many in many different formats.

Your logic reminds me of the story about a boy who trained a spider - when he told it to go left it went left, when he told it to go right it went right. He then pulled all the spiders legs off and found that it no longer obeyed his commands, when he told it to go left it didn't move, when he told it to go right it didn't move. He concluded from this pulling a spider's legs off makes them go deaf.

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Your logic reminds me of the story about a boy who trained a spider - when he told it to go left it went left, when he told it to go right it went right. He then pulled all the spiders legs off and found that it no longer obeyed his commands, when he told it to go left it didn't move, when he told it to go right it didn't move. He concluded from this pulling a spider's legs off makes them go deaf.
Excellent! Never heard that one before

NOKIA's customers are the carriers and large retailers, absolutely they know the score.

Let me remind you again, iPhone was released in 2007, Symbian comprehensively outsold it in every single quarter thereafter right up until Elop made the carriers/retailers drop it like a hot potato. That's a verifiable fact, look it up.

Where is your evidence that Symbian's collapse was just about to happen irrespective of Elop?
Did you read the page you yourself linked to?
NOKIA's sales of Symbian devices were increasing and they stated they could have shipped even more in the latter half of 2010 if it weren't for component shortages.

You love to keep making comparisons to the iPhone but in fact the average sales price of a Symbian device at Q4 2010 was around EUR 155-

It wasn't NOKIA's plan that Symbian would compete at the EUR 650- price level, that was the market MeeGo was to be aimed at.

When I became frustrated with my iPhone's many limitations and went back to Symbian my unlocked 5800 xm cost < 40% of the cost of my carrier locked iPhone.

The N8 was a great phone, photographers and techies would undoubtedly choose it above the iPhone, Joe Schmoe maybe not so much. Of course the N8 was only one Symbian device amongst a portfolio of many in many different formats.

Again, I know that as soon as the iPhone came out Nokia executives were in panic. Big panic, as they had nothing in their portfolio. They came over here cowering in fear, 2007. They brought Elop for a simple reason: they knew that sales were falling across board as Androids and iPhones expanded. The board knew it before anyone as they have data that is not available to regular folks. Stop blaming Elop for troubles that began way before his time. Symbian was out of the game.....it was just a matter of time before it disappeared. And that is all to it. Symbian was good when competition sucked, and it couldn't evolve when androids and iPhones came out. Symbian is dead. Accept it. The world accepted it and moved on, you should do it too.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
You are either denying the truth or your in another world matey because Elop is indeed the reason people are running away from Nokia big time and will probably never return thanks to the rest of the manufacturers.

He will settle for nothing else but a Windows os and is hell bound to make sure Nokia have no choice but to sell to Microsoft (who incidentally are paying Elop a grand sum to make sure this will happen) so my advice to you is to open your mind unless of course your the bro of Elop.

I will never buy another Nokia product again and my very first N900 will be with me always as a reminder of what could have been.

Tags
idiotman, lumiaidiot