Posts: 74 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turin, Italy
Hi, I wanted to sync my datas between home pc, office pc and n900. I tried several services and I'm currently using Dropbox, which works on Ubuntu, and Rsync between personal computers and n900.

Have you tried something similar? Which is the best cloud service that we can use to sync datas between traditional and mobile computers as n900? Have you tried something that sync also with Google Docs?

Thanks!

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by elris View Post
Hi, I wanted to sync my datas between home pc, office pc and n900. I tried several services and I'm currently using Dropbox, which works on Ubuntu, and Rsync between personal computers and n900.

Have you tried something similar? Which is the best cloud service that we can use to sync datas between traditional and mobile computers as n900? Have you tried something that sync also with Google Docs?

Thanks!
Good question. Anyone?

I use mesh but not extensively. I just use the web version coz there is no client for N900.

I'm seeking any software/app that can sync my ms onenote to my n900 but no luck so far

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
I would like to do this too but without a 3rd party cloud service.

My palm had a network sync and that is what I am looking for here.

On my home network I run DDNS and SSH port forwarding and I want to sync my n900 over the net using ssh port fowarding.

is there a way to sync my n900 with my PC over the net?

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
I would like to do this too but without a 3rd party cloud service.

My palm had a network sync and that is what I am looking for here.

On my home network I run DDNS and SSH port forwarding and I want to sync my n900 over the net using ssh port fowarding.

is there a way to sync my n900 with my PC over the net?
Perhaps rsync through the ssh tunnel?

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Depends on what you want to sync.

I use Dropbox for sync between laptop (ubuntu) and desktop (windows 7), but there is no client for N900. I download what I need from the web interface--not ideal, but it works. I am not sure I would want to have that syncing all the time on my N900. There is 2 gig of space for free, and I don't need all that communication and power drain on my phone. For example, whenever I use a file that gets altered (like Keeppass creating a lock file) on one computer, the other computer syncs it up and shows me a notice.

I use tomboy/conboy on all three platforms. It is like a combination of yellow sticky notes and a wiki. Fantastic program, if you are not familiar with it. And Ubuntu (on Ubuntu one) gives me the ability to sync it among all three platforms. Only drawback is that sync is manual. But this is my workhorse for info sharing. I can keep a list of servers and ip addresses, the size of the air filters in my A/C unit, the light bulb wattages I need to buy, random notes on a project, etc., and fairly easily (though not automatically) have it available everywhere. Ubuntu One even has a web interface to get to the notes if you need it.

Firefox Weave syncs up my bookmarks and other Firefox stuff, which is nice, but I don't seem to use firefox all that much on my n900.

My email, calendar, and contacts sync up everywhere because I use an exchange server. Since I started using exchange with my phone it has become a must-have feature for me. It is what kept me from even considering the iPhone when it first came out, and what keeps droid out now. I MIGHT have violated that rule for the N900, but it is hard to say. In any case, my info is kept synced up very well through exchange. (Just to drag this point out further, I have considered Zimbra and Google to replace exchange here, but nothing so far has pushed me over the hump off of exchange.)

Opera (on the desktop) has some pretty nice sharing capabilities that might also be useful to you, though it is a bit different than "cloud" offerings and I have not come up with much real usage for it.

In theory it would be nice to have a continually backed up directory on my n900 that syncs with my laptop and desktop, but in reality I don't have many apps on the N900 that use files generated on the desktop/laptop and vice-versa. I have 90% of my info-sharing needs covered in conboy/tomboy. So I am interested to hear what your use cases for this are (i.e. what types of files you want to keep in both places and what you do with them?).

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Perhaps rsync through the ssh tunnel?
Rsync helps with backing up and syncing data. what I want to sync is contacts, calendar notes and tasks with Outlook on my win Vista PC. Much like exchange, however I don't want new hardware or a pay for a cloud service . Unless there is a Linux equivalent of exchange server that will run on a Qnap 239 I would pay a fixed fee (once off cost) for software.

Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
Rsync helps with backing up and syncing data. what I want to sync is contacts, calendar notes and tasks with Outlook on my win Vista PC. Much like exchange, however I don't want new hardware or a pay for a cloud service . Unless there is a Linux equivalent of exchange server that will run on a Qnap 239 I would pay a fixed fee (once off cost) for software.
You can run funambol syncml server on a local machine

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Bringing up this subject again as rather a late adopter; I've had an N900 for almost a couple of years now but I've never bothered to achieve full synchronisation of personal data. Never really seen the point. Over that time, though, I've become dependent on the N900 for calendaring and contacts, and this brings with it a desire for access to that data in a variety of situations.

I've recently opted for a two-way sync of my N900 calendar against a Google calendar using erminig and mounted that Google calendar on my desktop with Thunderbird + Lightning extension, which works well and leads me to wonder about doing similar things in terms of my contacts, tasks etc.

However, I want to preserve 100% of the data in my N900 contacts - for which Google Contacts is not the answer as it politely ignores the X-FACEBOOK and X-SIP fields in all my N900-generated vCards. So, I'm looking for something against which I can sync my N900 contacts, then manage/merge/edit them from a desktop PC, then expect the N900 to sync any updated contacts back from whatever service. I've never played with SyncML, open to recommendations for third party services and/or to running my own server on a Debian VPS - if someone can confirm that this is the answer.

Anyone got a parallel approach for tasks? If I could add/edit tasks from the desktop and tick them off from the phone, that might make the functionality worth using.

Not so worried about file synchronisation, as there's few files on my desktop to which I need access on the N900, but I wonder about the use of e.g. Google Docs for spreadsheets with mobilised access... is anyone doing this? I'd be interested to hear of any new developments / discoveries in the last year or two; I am now a routine user of Toshl, mail has always been available via IMAP, calendaring now works... if I could add proper cloud-based synchronisation of contacts and tasks I'd be a very happy man indeed. Anyone got all this working?

The Following User Says Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post: