Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am fairly sure you cannot bypass the amr codec on the device, as the echo cancellation filters in the RNC would distort the datastream if it's not looking enough like speech audio. Anything going down the line needs to be modelled to the range of human audio.

That's basically the reason I haven't really looked too hard at it yet, as it would require some experimenting to find out the modulation sheme that can be passed through without distortion.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
This paper is quite intresting as it describes an actual prototype built to implement the encryption & coding.
The requirements of the test system seem fairly modest and should be doable at least on N9 HW, maybe N900 too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Earth
This is relevant to my interests

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Earth
bump

bump

bump

bump

Stop bumping, start getting your hands dirty and do the work?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Bulgaria
This sounds like an intresting task for the free time, anyway corrent me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but pulseaudio controls witch inputs/outputs are used , and it supports plugins (EQ for example), so my logic is:
If PA supports plugins, and controls the audio streams on the N900, the most easy way to add "encryption call" competability will be by adding a plugin witch does the en/de cryption to PA. (loaded/used only when needed ofc, not all time)
So my question is , am I thinking in the right direction ?

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
let's get back to work!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Chester, CA
Just to clarify, this is not meant for general ptsn telephone calls correct?

Unless you get the other side onboard, and they have compatible hardware to decrypt the stream, i don't really see the utility of this, in regards to general ptsn calls.

Don't get me wrong, i think its a great idea, but only for special usage between two parties that have the capability/hardware/know how to set up an encrypted stream. And unless its a cross platform encryption system, it will only work with other n900's.

I'd just go with something like a vpn, and a sip gateway voip service. If you can find service providers for those services that won't bend over for the feds, then add some kind of encryption to the data stream, and your in business.

But once again, it has to be setup/compatible on both ends. If the other end of the call on the ptsn isn't encrypted, theres no vpn/service that prevents wiretapping of the unencrypted ptsn data.

No way around that, unless some kind of universal/cross platform/hardware ptsn encryption system is setup universally. But Uncle Sam wouldn't like that very much, and i don't see it happening anytime soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to eleseur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eleseur View Post
I'd just go with something like a vpn, and a sip gateway voip service.
Just to clarify, vpn would allow direct, encrypted sip calls to be made *without* using any VoIP proxy (so-called providers), just direct communication. It is what you meant anyway, probably, but some may mix it up with next sentence about "finding provider, that don't bends to the feds".
---

The interesting idea from this topic, is to use *plain* voice call for encrypted data transfer (at low bandwidth, using tones). This is something I would *really* like to see. Not that it would be replacement for every-day usage, but in case of some problems (like data transfer getting emergency shut down), would be very practical.

Of course, it still require device able to decrypt and encrypt on both sides - but, this time, one of such device could be plain pstn telephone, forwarding received sound to computer (in case of another side lacking N900). Either plain as in "plain", with speaker put to computer microphone, or - more reliable, 5$ PSTN phone modified (super-easy modification) to pass sound into computer line-in, instead of built-in speaker (jack audio output).

Heck, same project - due to code openess - could be used even *without* any N900's, just using computers and mofified PSTN phones.

/Estel

/Edit

I'm pretty sure, that there are some FOSS projects on tonal data transfer already, that could get harvested.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: