I was currently looking to get an N810, but I've noticed that the N810 WiMax is going to be out soon (2 to 3 months maybe?) and a new OS2009/Diablo, so I was curious if perhaps there would be a price-drop in the "original"/"non-WiMax" N810.

Does anyone feel that the price will drop off somewhat? I'm the kind of person, that even if it drops off $25-$50, I feel it's worth waiting.

What's with the current fairly big price difference? I mean Nokia wants $479 + shipping (without the coupon code), yet Walmart.com only wants $400 and Circuit City only wants $449. So if the unit is originally $479, how is Walmart/Circuit City making any money on the units, it seems like they would lose. Does Nokia sell them in bulk to stores for less and they can then sell them cheaper?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
When manufacturers offer their own wares up for sale, they run the risk of offending retailers (who are direct customers). They typically sell at list to avoid that. Of course retailers get products below list... and are then free to markup as they please.

History suggests the N810 could indeed drop, but it's anybody's guess if and when. I have no idea. Balance your patience against potential cost savings.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you're looking for savings, the N800 is still a great deal. Buy a keyboard separately and a GPS and still be way ahead. Plus, the N800 comes with a FREE onboard FM radio!

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
When manufacturers offer their own wares up for sale, they run the risk of offending retailers (who are direct customers). They typically sell at list to avoid that.
Thanks for the enlightenment, never thought of that. I was really wondering why Nokia shop has the highest price. The next question is why they are selling it directly at all? Perhaps the high profit pays the expenses of keeping the (intentionally low volume because of high price) direct sales channel alive so it evens out and makes sense somehow.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=Texrat;174201]When manufacturers offer their own wares up for sale, they run the risk of offending retailers (who are direct customers). They typically sell at list to avoid that. Of course retailers get products below list... and are then free to markup as they please.
I have a feeling that is what happened when the n810 dropped to $375 for a day (with the scinezine discount) on the nokia direct site. How can Best Buy sell it for $479 when nokia under cut them!!! Somebody must of screamed.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Thanks for the enlightenment, never thought of that. I was really wondering why Nokia shop has the highest price. The next question is why they are selling it directly at all?
Sometimes it's to make sure that more people can get the product. Not everyone is covered by the approved retail channels.

I see, now it all makes sense.

What's strange is, I just mentioned Walmart.com and now it suddenly disappeared from their site, but I found a direct link, now it says "Not Sold Online", even though it was just sold online a week ago.

Interestingly enough though, it's available in my one local store even though it claimed a week ago also that it wasn't.