Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
#101
the lastest version maemo18 has the new kexec patches for dual booting the MeeGo kernel.
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....6.28-maemo18/

Last edited by titan; 2010-04-01 at 06:35. Reason: testing link
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 383 times | Joined on Jan 2010
#102
Hey titan,

I've been playing with the overclocking stuff in this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=overclock

I'm running my n900 with a max frequency of 900mhz (300 / 450 / 600 / 900 timings), and the difference is incredible (rock solid after 15 minutes of bzip2 + web/flash rendering). Any chance you could release an overclocking kernel with these timings?

I'm building my own at the moment, as the stock kernel in the other thread is old and lacks all the great modules you've included. Be handy if it was in your mainline though.

Min/max speeds can be controlled via sysfs as well, so a max of 600mhz could be as default, with interested users able to enable 900mhz with a simple command.

Last edited by nightfire; 2010-04-04 at 06:37.
 
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
#103
yes, I've seen the overclocking thread.
If it's possible I'd keep the default 600MHz as max (for stability) but give users the possibility to manually fry their device at 1GHz.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=509
the main problem is that the max freq cannot be set as a boot parameter
unlike in previous kernel versions http://lwn.net/Articles/11548/

Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
I've been playing with the overclocking stuff in this thread:
Any chance you could release an overclocking kernel with these timings?
Min/max speeds can be controlled via sysfs as well, so a max of 600mhz could be as default, with interested users able to enable 900mhz with a simple command.
 
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Sep 2008
#104
Originally Posted by titan View Post
yes, I've seen the overclocking thread.
If it's possible I'd keep the default 600MHz as max (for stability) but give users the possibility to manually fry their device at 1GHz.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=509
the main problem is that the max freq cannot be set as a boot parameter
unlike in previous kernel versions http://lwn.net/Articles/11548/
What about a (125-900)Mhz variant? ...

I'm at 21hrs up-time @ 900mhz and loving it. Even battery performance has not dropped. (I guess that's because it's mostly idling at 125Mhz and only scales up when required.)
 
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
#105
EDIT: please do not install it yet. I found a possible issue.

I have uploaded a new version that is supposed to support 125,250,500,550,600,700,750,800,850,900,1000MHz and sets the default max to 600MHz.
for freq >= 850 the DSP is set to 500MHz.
You should be able to change the frequency range as root using
Code:
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 250000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
I currently don't have my USB cable (for reflashing) with me so I can't test it myself
If there are any volunteers please let me know whether it works.
Installing this new kernel is at your own risk, of course.
Be prepared to reflash the stock kernel per USB!

You can download version 19 from
http://maemory.com/N900/overclock/
install all packages and the kernel-flasher-maemo last.
Good luck!

Last edited by titan; 2010-04-05 at 09:23. Reason: update is RED
 

The Following User Says Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Sep 2008
#106
Originally Posted by titan View Post
I have uploaded a new version that is supposed to support 125,250,500,550,600,700,750,800,850,900,1000MHz and sets the default max to 600MHz.
for freq >= 850 the DSP is set to 500MHz.
You should be able to change the frequency range as root using
Code:
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 250000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
I currently don't have my USB cable (for reflashing) with me so I can't test it myself
If there are any volunteers please let me know whether it works.
Installing this new kernel is at your own risk, of course.
Be prepared to reflash the stock kernel per USB!

You can download version 19 from
http://maemory.com/N900/overclock/
install all packages and the kernel-flasher-maemo last.
Good luck!
Is there a way to make it persistent so it survives reboots?

Also, compared to what I have on my phone, scaling_max_freq is currently reporting 600,000 although it's overclocked to 900Mhz (cpuinfo_max_freq)

Last edited by fixfox; 2010-04-04 at 13:56.
 
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
#107
which kernel are you using?
you could add the two commands to /etc/init.d/rcS
cpuinfo_max_freq is the maximum of the CPU, scaling_max_freq is what you set as limit
Originally Posted by fixfox View Post
Is there a way to make it persistent so it survives reboots?
Also, compared to what I have on my phone, scaling_max_freq is currently reporting 600,000 although it's overclocked to 900Mhz (cpuinfo_max_freq)
 
MohammadAG's Avatar
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,262 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
#108
Originally Posted by fixfox View Post
Is there a way to make it persistent so it survives reboots?

Also, compared to what I have on my phone, scaling_max_freq is currently reporting 600,000 although it's overclocked to 900Mhz (cpuinfo_max_freq)
I noticed that too, trycat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
Mine shows:
800000 550000 500000 250000 125000
cpuinfo_max_freq also shows 600000 here
 
jaeezzy's Avatar
Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
#109
cat scaling_available_frequencies prints as:
400000 360000 180000 180000 900000

isn't it all messed up or is it alright? thanks.

EDIT: its after the installation and reboot. I haven't gave a single command. and I was using 900MHz prior to this.

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2010-04-04 at 14:20.
 
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Sep 2008
#110
Mine (scaling_available_freqs) shows...

900000, 550000, 500000,250000, 125000
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:54.