Wow--ever hear of http://www.Qik.com? It lets you stream live from a cell phone to the web.

Can you do it with your Nokia N800? No, not yet--but it looks promising! CONTACT THEM AND TELL THEM YOU REALLY WANT THIS!

I just sent them the following message the other day:

When will you add the Nokia N800 (or N810) Internet Tablet?

Thanks!
Doug
and got the following message from jane@qik.com today:

Hi Doug,
Thank you for your interest in qik.

We are working on supporting that device and will keep you posted as we make progress.

Thanks,
Jane
Wouldn't it be COOL to be able to use your N800 to stream using that little built-in web cam? Of course it would! So by all means, write Qik.com and tell 'em you gotta have it!

Well, you can already do it, just with some manual work. Someone at MIT streamed video from an N800 to 2nd Life, google it...

Not saying that their service wouldn't be nice anyway, of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
I watched the video on that site and it looks great.

So, now the question is....if they can do that, why can't someone come up with a way to make video on Skype work?? ..(or Yahoo Messenger or Google Chat or any other IM software)??

There's gotta be a way! I love having that little built-in webcam on my N800, but I hate not really having any way to use it!

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by dougr2024 View Post
So, now the question is....if they can do that, why can't someone come up with a way to make video on Skype work?? ..(or Yahoo Messenger or Google Chat or any other IM software)??

There's gotta be a way! I love having that little built-in webcam on my N800, but I hate not really having any way to use it!

Search around you'll find a few things...

aMSN works to stream video (albeit slow) to MSN Messenger clients.

SIP video via h.263/h.263+ works with PC clients that support that codec.

Gizmo video works to the Gizmo PC 4.0 beta client.

"motion" lets you stream via mjpeg/http or still frames.

Jabber/XMPP/GTalk video is done via jingle-video so technically it would work with a PC *if* someone could find PC client software with support.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I emailed qik.com too. I got back this answer:
Hi Paul
Thank you for interest in Qik.
We currently do not support tablet, but will keep you posted once we add support on that devices.

Regards
Jane

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Madison, WI
Misleading title.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by zeleftikam View Post
Misleading title.
QFT.

I have run Qik from my cellphone though. It works ok. Would be nice to have, but the camera on my phone is a hundred times better than the POS on these tablets...

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

I think this feature is very important to have to keep the N800 competive.

Think about you can record a short video and place it in your blog right from the N800, now that would be cool.

So, yes Qik please make this feature happen.

For the rest of you continue righting a comment on this so that this feature becomes very popular.

Regards Robert

http://live.yahoo.com/ would be nice too, if our Maemo Flash client supported it.

Didjit

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That Second-life streaming thing wasn't very useful, it can only be streamed to one fixed IP.

Peekaboo, for OS 2007, could stream a decent video from the webcam via HTTP. We need someone to port it to OS2008.

Peekaboo used a port of VLC to do the heavy lifting, by the way.