Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
That page of Sebastian's hasn't been updated for some time. For the current status, please check the N900 kernel status page. The n900-modem driver was merged in 3.16. If I'm honest, I haven't actually tested the modem yet.
Thanks for the link! I've seen that before but it was too long ago to remember.

I've only really tried Enlightenment which has an option to optimise for mobile devices.
I've tried e17 as well with the mobile UI (in Easy Debian, and an accordingly sized VBox window on my PC) and to me it seems to be the only UI Debian offers that might be suitable for a 3.5" touchscreen without using a stylus.
I was able to make some progress with LXDE but I can only either create a UI that works without a stylus or that leaves enough room for application windows, not both at the same time. Xfce was even worse.

btw. do you know the "bodhi-close" gadget created by Jeff Hoogland [1]? It essentially creates an [X] icon in the shelf (upper panel). I've found the source code here [2], but didn't compile it myself. In the VM I was able to use the Bodhi package in Debian.
In combination with a taskbar-like gadget like iTask [3] (not an official part of E17) the "illume-softkey" module (lower panel) becomes totally dispensable, which in turn frees up some precious pixels for applications.
Here's a screenshot of Bodhi running in a 800x480px VM with an E17 setup that I think might work well on the N900 screen [4]. It turned out whenever I tried to put something together in Debian that might work it ended up looking like Bodhi. So @Jeff, in case you read this: Thank you!

What's your preferred web browser in Debian on the N900? I believe iceweasel is too heavy and it seems some potential alternatives (midori, xxxterm) aren't actually maintained.
So far I'm leaning towards qupzilla and netsurf.

I'd like to draw your attention in particular to this issue before you go off and install ALSA or similar and blow up your speakers.
Thanks for the reminder!
As a very simple "solution", wouldn't it be sufficient to mute ALSA's lower-frequency equalizer controls? (of course that means crippling the sound even via the audio jack)
What's the critical frequency? I think I remember having read something about 125Hz, but that might be totally wrong.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=27934
[2] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...nt.devel/34506
[3] http://code.google.com/p/itask-module/
[4] https://wiki.debianforum.de/Datei:E17-bodhi.png

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
suitable for a 3.5" touchscreen without using a stylus.
I was able to make some progress with LXDE but I can only either create a UI that works without a stylus or that leaves enough room for application windows, not both at the same time.
By using auto-hiding panels of quite big size (with adequately sized icons), you can create UI that works finger-friendly, and still leaves 799x479 pixels* for applications. If you configure it correctly**, panels will always show up on top of whatever is open, but *only* when you actually press a little outside of screen, on the edge where they should appear (it feels almost like having additional capacitive buttons, but of course it's side effect of our resistive screen sensitivity - pressing just outside screen border is recognized as swinging mouse outside screen, which brings up panel). You can have 4 separate panels with different content (running programs, shortcuts, resource monitors, etc).

For Easy Debian, I found such setup most lightweight and convenient, at the same time. I see no reason why it would work differently in native Debian. BTW, it's worth to configure Openbox to start some programs without "decorations" - especially the ones that have own way of closing, minimizing, etc. Saves another bit of screen estate.

/Estel

*Works properly only with lxpanel from Jessie - earlier, some bug allowed certain applications to ignore "always on top" settings of auto-hiding panel, and, for example, Chromium was always on top.

**The -1 pixel comes from the fact, that you need to leave hidden panel size of 1 pixel (before Jessie, min was 2 pixels, now it is 0), or Panel won't come up after restart. It's a bug - it should still appear, even when 0-sized when hidden. If it's ever get fixed, we can use full 800x480 pixels for programs.

// Edit

How about power-saving? I would expect that without Maemo's hack, it will use much more power (current) when totally idle and screen is disabled,as compared to Maemo/Hildon?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-09-19 at 12:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hé hé hé something is cooking around! It smells goooooood !!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I've tried e17 as well with the mobile UI (in Easy Debian, and an accordingly sized VBox window on my PC) and to me it seems to be the only UI Debian offers that might be suitable for a 3.5" touchscreen without using a stylus.
I was able to make some progress with LXDE but I can only either create a UI that works without a stylus or that leaves enough room for application windows, not both at the same time. Xfce was even worse.

btw. do you know the "bodhi-close" gadget created by Jeff Hoogland [1]? It essentially creates an [X] icon in the shelf (upper panel). I've found the source code here [2], but didn't compile it myself. In the VM I was able to use the Bodhi package in Debian.
In combination with a taskbar-like gadget like iTask [3] (not an official part of E17) the "illume-softkey" module (lower panel) becomes totally dispensable, which in turn frees up some precious pixels for applications.
Here's a screenshot of Bodhi running in a 800x480px VM with an E17 setup that I think might work well on the N900 screen [4]. It turned out whenever I tried to put something together in Debian that might work it ended up looking like Bodhi. So @Jeff, in case you read this: Thank you!

What's your preferred web browser in Debian on the N900? I believe iceweasel is too heavy and it seems some potential alternatives (midori, xxxterm) aren't actually maintained.
So far I'm leaning towards qupzilla and netsurf.
You might be interested to know (if you don't already know it) that there is an EFL UI for ConnMan called EConnMan but you would need to build it as hasn't yet been packaged for Debian.

I have tried out few browsers. I installed Iceweasel and as you might expect it ate a lot of the memory but other than that there were no real issues and I was able to install some of my favourite add-ons. It's actually quite responsive for single tab/window browsing if you don't have a lot of other stuff running. It runs much better than it does in Maemo under Easy Debian (from what I remember).

Your right about Midori being a poor choice. It was recently removed from the repositories. It's back in there at the moment but it's scheduled to be auto removed again as there's a serious bug that needs fixing and no one's maintaining it. I ran into another bug when I tried it in that there was nowhere to enter a URL!

If you want a really lightweight browser then I recommend links2. It does display graphics, just don't expect anything fancy like JavaScript.

This might also be a good option.

Thanks for the reminder!
As a very simple "solution", wouldn't it be sufficient to mute ALSA's lower-frequency equalizer controls? (of course that means crippling the sound even via the audio jack)
What's the critical frequency? I think I remember having read something about 125Hz, but that might be totally wrong.
I was thinking of something similar. It should be possible to detect whether there's something plugged into the audio jack and automatically switch to the appropriate profile. I'm not actually sure what the critical frequency is. I would very much appreciate it if someone can confirm it.

There are also the Nokia PA plugins as suggested by freemangordon which would work in the short term. I say short term as I would prefer universal solution that also works with hardfp and is open source.

Hopefully the Neo900 will have protection at hardware level.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2014-09-20 at 05:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
How about power-saving? I would expect that without Maemo's hack, it will use much more power (current) when totally idle and screen is disabled,as compared to Maemo/Hildon?
Right. As I said, it isn't ready for everyday use but power saving is obviously something I'd like to address.

In the meantime, you can run pm-suspend to completely suspend the device, just don't do it with the 3.16-rc1 kernel as the device will hang.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
A word of warning to E17 users using 3.16-rc1. The E17 power saving that kicks in when idle for a few minutes also triggers the hang (it looks like it's doing a full suspend).

You could try 3.14-rc3 instead. My biggest problem with that kernel is I get frequent network errors causing SSH connections to drop and package downloads to fail.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
with regards to the pulseaudio issue, wouldn't the meego version have the required protection we could use for armhf?

edit: it appears they might, settings refer to it https://github.com/nemomobile/pulsea...lgs/xprot/set2

Last edited by Android_808; 2014-09-20 at 14:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
with regards to the pulseaudio issue, wouldn't the meego version have the required protection we could use for armhf?

edit: it appears they might, settings refer to it https://github.com/nemomobile/pulsea...lgs/xprot/set2
Bare in mind that the frequency threshold on the N950/N9 might not be identical to that of the N900.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
You could try 3.14-rc3 instead. My biggest problem with that kernel is I get frequent network errors causing SSH connections to drop and package downloads to fail.
I guess you're hitting https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...f6600f77526078

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Bare in mind that the frequency threshold on the N950/N9 might not be identical to that of the N900.
I think he was referring to the version of meego adapted for N900.

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7