Notices

working great....

The Following User Says Thank You to meLi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Okay, well, if I don't get any complaints by the end of today, I'm going to promote this current 0.9.2-2 version into testing, and from then on, unless you want to help me test newer releases I'd suggest using extras-testing repositories for future updates until the 1.0 milestone release. And once again, thank you all for your great input, it makes it all worth while.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Okay, well, if I don't get any complaints by the end of today, I'm going to promote this current 0.9.2-2 version into testing, and from then on, unless you want to help me test newer releases I'd suggest using extras-testing repositories for future updates until the 1.0 milestone release. And once again, thank you all for your great input, it makes it all worth while.
I always sit in Devel unless I have to otherwise. However, unlike the majority of people who do so, I'm also okay with experimental updates breaking everything. So don't let me saying that keep you from pushing updates that might self-destruct the device and such.

Anyway, launched Columbus now that I woke up 20 min or so ago. Will be heading out to class with it on as promised. (Currently it can't get GPS signal for crap... But that's because I'm inside what amounts to being a large concrete box of a building.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Has anybody got this working with racechrono?

Running Columbus in the background, second class in a row. It has mapped my movements pretty well when it had a lock, which was pretty consistently when I'm outside.

It's kept my GPS lock decently inside this class I'm in now. The GPS system thinks I'm moving when I'm just slgtihtly moving the N900, but that's not a columbus issue - that's a GPS-system issue in general.

Oh, I'm also typing this reply from Google Chrome on my laptom, to which I have connected with VNC Viewer from my N900, connecting over campus wifi. At the same time I have MicroB (4 tabs), X-Term, Columbus, and an sms convo in the background.

Texting, browsing, and everything else hasn't caused and random errors. Columbus keeping GPS lock and running fine.

Okay, just had two crashes in quick succession. It SEEMS to be some mix of actively having a GPS lock, and rapidly being made to change orientation between portrait and landscape.

Not sure. I was going back to dorm from the aforementioned second class, shut everything down except for Columbus and two X-Term windows, went into a Starbucks. I had locked the screen earlier with Columbus in portrait mode (status bar showing). I decided to check on it again. Lifted phone out in landscape mode, pushed the lock switch thingy - nothing happened, not too unusual, I'm never sure if it's software lag or a hardware glitch or me not pushing it all the way in - so I slid open the keyboard. Screen came on as normal, showing Columbus in portrait mode, and then Columbus closed/exited. I relaunched it, it got the lock back almost immediately. So I kept it open, status bar out (I think). For a while in line I kept rotating in one spot while slightly moving my hand around to see how accurately I could get the compass to report direction. Because I wasn't moving more than a foot in any direction, not very, but that's to be expected.

I grabbed a sandwich, ordered my drink, payed, moved into the waiting area. Some of these were done with the same hand that my N900 was in. I basically had it in my hand the entire time, so it got more random movements than normal.

As I set my stuff down and went to put my card and receipt away, I glanced at my screen and saw Columbus had exited again. My memory is not precise enough to be 100% certain if I actually SAW it close, or if it had closed since I last looked (which would've been within a minute at the most), and I don't like falling victim to all those little faulty quirks of human memory (in this case, being certain you remember something based on what you logically know about the situation, when you really don't necessarily remember it if you really pay attention).

So yeah. I tried replicating it when I got home, no success, but I'll admit, I didn't try too hard to walk around flailing my arm or anything like that.

In the four hours I've had columbus and other stuff running, battery got drained. I am pretty sure most of that was the browsing and wifi connectivity, but Columbus did noticeably contribute over time. (But not more than I would expect from something running the GPS system non-stop.)

(Edit - for the part where I did wifi browsing/VNCing, I had lxp's injection capable driver running, not the normal wifi driver. So there's a change that had to do with it. Doubt it, but it's possible.)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-01-10 at 17:59.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
If battery is depleted, programs crashes or phone is switched off by accident then is the log file lost?

Some usability things.

- All graphs have scale lines but what those lines exactly represent? What is on y-axis and what is scale? They look nice but to me they do not exactly tell too much.

- Would it be possible to loop around screen indefinitely?

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
If battery is depleted, programs crashes or phone is switched off by accident then is the log file lost?
Not sure. I wasn't logging. Probably should've been.

Originally Posted by Slender
- Would it be possible to loop around screen indefinitely?
Actually, it would be great if a future version allowed you to see all of the first screen in portrait mode. (Current version hides two two rather informative graphs - I personally really like the graph that tells you how much signal you have from each satellite. It'd be nice if I could scroll down to see it in portrait mode on that page/window/tab/screen/whatever, since right now it only shows when you're on that screen in landscape.

But anyway, other than the two random crashes/closings, I still think it's stable enough. Might as well push it to extras-testing anyway. You'll get more people testing it that way too. (At least, if the extras-testing-devel system was working right.) Meanwhile, I'm going to another class, so I'll keep testing.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Malaysia
Hi there,
Managed to get around 1.5-2 hrs of usage before total battery depletion. Did some web surfing using wifi & music/video listering simultaneously while running Columbus via bluetooth. So far no problems arose during the abovementioned test run. No disconnection or lag etc... Upon finishing recharging back the batt, restart back Columbus to see if any problem arose because of improper shutdown. All I can say is that Columbus seems to be running ok.
I did notice 1 thing though, my N900 did became a bit hot. If i scale 1 to 10, it would be around 7-8. That hot. While testing, i did OC to 950Mhz with active animated livewallpaper. Wonder it's because of my OC'ing?
Anyway, my report is that Columbus seems to be running rather well on my end. I'll post here for any updates/faults/hanging etc,.

Sincerely,
-Scav-

The Following User Says Thank You to scavenger For This Useful Post:
Latest version crashes after 3-5 minutes of operation with location displayed. Seems to be ok until it finds the location.

Tags
navigation, nokia n900