Notices

Hello, All!

A while ago, I have uploaded the following emulators to Fremantle Extras-Testing:

fMSX - MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ emulator
Speccy - Sinclair ZX Spectrum (and clones) emulator
ColEm - ColecoVision emulator

Unfortunately, due to the lack of interest from testers, these applications still have not gathered enough votes to be promoted to proper Extras (more popular VGBA/VGB/iNES have though). So, I would like to ask people who have N900s to follow this link:

http://maemo.org/packages/repository...xtras-testing/

download these applications, test, and vote for them.

Some comments on testing:
  • fMSX will go straight into BASIC on startup. You do not really need any extra ROMs to test it, but if you need more stuff, ftp://ftp.komkon.org/pub/MSX/ has it.
  • Speccy will ask you for a file on startup. You can supply it with any .SNA or .Z80 file, which you can find at http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-...Xspectrum.html for example. If you cancel the Open-File dialog, Speccy will go into ZX128 top menu. Use SHIFT+arrows to navigate this menu, 0 or ENTER to select an option.
  • ColEm will ask for a cartridge on startup. You can get some pretty decent homebrewn ColecoVision stuff here: http://www.pdroms.de/files/colecovision/

If interested, you can also find the latest versions of my other stuff in Extras-Testing: VGBA, VGB, iNES, MG, SlideRule, and AlmostTI. Voting for it will help me provide you with updated versions quicker.

Last edited by fms; 2009-11-22 at 13:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Hi, I have just installed Speccy on my N900, loaded one game (Batman) and it works perfectly. However it looks like tape read speed is in real time, it takes a couple of minutes to start the game. I would like to know how to accelerate it. In Windows version it looks like PgUp and F9 keys make the emulator fast forward, but I don't have those keys on my N900.

I'm very interested in emulation, so be sure I will be testing every emulator you port to Maemo in my N900. Thank you for your work.

Last edited by LordJuanlo; 2009-12-23 at 16:42.

Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post
However it looks like tape read speed is in real time, it takes a couple of minutes to start the game. I would like to know how to accelerate it.
There is no way to accelerate it. It works just like on the real Spectrum.

In Windows version it looks like PgUp and F9 keys make the emulator fast forward, but I don't have those keys on my N900.
This has been done with the MENU key on N810, but N900 has no MENU key, or other special hardware keys for this matter. I still do not know where to place the fast-forward function.

I'm very interested in emulation, so be sure I will be testing every emulator you port to Maemo in my N900.
Well, there is still one my emulator left in Extras-Testing, called ColEm. Why not give it a try and vote for it?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
Originally Posted by fms View Post
There is no way to accelerate it. It works just like on the real Spectrum.
would be nice to have it though - most of speccy emulators I've used so far do support "fast loading" of .tap (and similar) files...

I don't particularly like the built-it menu either (using speccy graphics, instead of gtk/qt gui) - but it's your choice...

thanks i installed colem but hadnt gone digging for roms yet, will test soon now that i have roms

Originally Posted by fms View Post
This has been done with the MENU key on N810, but N900 has no MENU key, or other special hardware keys for this matter. I still do not know where to place the fast-forward function.
MAEMO version of DOSBox uses a special keyboard mapping (you have to manually add a file called rover.sys that loads with keyb.com) that emulates PC function keys on the N900 by pressing shift+FN+number. Maybe you could do something similar.

Or maybe you could capture shift or FN + hardware volume keys (sorry I have no clue about programming in MAEMO so I don't know whether it's possible or not, just trying to give you some ideas) to change emulation speed.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
I noticed there's a new version of Speccy which is vastly improved over the previous one, in terms of Maemo integration. Thanks for that.

I have one question, though: What do the "additional key mappings" map to? It can set key mappings to LEFT, RIGHT, etc but to which kind of joystick this key mappings map to? I haven't been able to get this settings to work with any joystick (I only tried kempston and sinclair).
Also, where is the fire in kempston? is it really "," ?

thanks

HI,
I have loaded speccy 1.6 emulator and games in the .z80 format onto the n900 without an issue and all is working ok. I was playing Lord of Time (level 9) text only adventure game and wanted to save where I was. How do you set up the speccy to enable it to save games on the n900?

Thanks,

Sparky196mark

Originally Posted by Sparky196mark View Post
HI,
I have loaded speccy 1.6 emulator and games in the .z80 format onto the n900 without an issue and all is working ok. I was playing Lord of Time (level 9) text only adventure game and wanted to save where I was. How do you set up the speccy to enable it to save games on the n900?
Use Freeze/Restore state options. They are available either from Maemo application menu (click on the toolbar) or from the Speccy own menu (click on the toolbar and select Speccy Configuration).

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
you forgot something essential

http://wiki.maemo.org/Help_testing_software
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search