hate it, we may but i have a feeling this Nokia + MS marriage will actually be successful. maybe not successful enough to be #1 but definitely successful enough to hurt Apple and Google so that they feel pain.

MS has a lot of R&D which they have problems getting out the door (commercializing) in a good cadence. Nokia has cool R&D (not as many as MS) which they manage to get out of the door.

Nokia understands the mobile industry (and consumers) more so than MS could ever do in the next 10000000000 years.

MS understands the enterprise story more than Nokia could ever do in the next 999999999999 years.

yadda yadda yadda

i'll say give them 12-18 months to start seeing some really cool stuff that the average joe would want to buy.

MS and Nokia (prior to the purchase) are like a little mozzie bite to Apple and Google.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
trojan horse!!!!

now lumiaman can fap to elop happily
LOL, hmm he was a MS until 2010, after which he joined Nokia - and sank it. You do the math :-O

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Great news for nokia now we can enjoy the mighty square ui phones even more.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
R.I.P Nokia...

You are about 2,5 years late.

RIP Nokia was in 2011 (Elopcalypse). It just took a while to bury the corpse.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
LOL, hmm he was a MS until 2010, after which he joined Nokia - and sank it. You do the math :-O
I have to congratulate Elop for the job. Well done! He executed the plan perfectly.

My question is this. How can the board accept a low price like this? They are the once to blame. Elop did well. Sad but true.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 215 | Thanked: 448 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Burgas, Bulgaria

Microsoft bought Nokia for 5,44 billion Euro

Microsoft to acquire Nokia’s devices & services business, license Nokia’s patents and mapping services
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...ncementPR.aspx

The Next Chapter: An open letter from Steve Ballmer and Stephen Elop
http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/...-stephen-elop/

Accelerating Growth
Microsoft’s strategic rationale for deal announced
with Nokia on September 3, 2013
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...cRationale.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to tanago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Can anyone clue me in: how can Microsoft buy Nokia for $7.2 billion, if the current market cap for NOK is $14 billion? How does acquisition of publicly traded companies work?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by droll View Post
hate it, we may but i have a feeling this Nokia + MS marriage will actually be successful. maybe not successful enough to be #1 but definitely successful enough to hurt Apple and Google so that they feel pain.
Not really. It will continue to be something in the single digits percentage, a mosquito bothering pair of elephants.

MS has a lot of R&D which they have problems getting out the door (commercializing) in a good cadence. Nokia has cool R&D (not as many as MS) which they manage to get out of the door.
Not really. When was the last time you saw any innovations come from MS?
They are pretty good at this acquire and destroy business but cannot hold on to HW business.

Nokia understands the mobile industry (and consumers) more so than MS could ever do in the next 10000000000 years.
Not really. Or else they would not have fscked up their OS business so bad they fell into MS's gentle lap.

MS understands the enterprise story more than Nokia could ever do in the next 999999999999 years.
Not really. They are just forcing themselves on corporate environment by sheer force and through incapability of managers in general to understand tehcnical matters.

yadda yadda yadda
There, you finally got it

i'll say give them 12-18 months to start seeing some really cool stuff that the average joe would want to buy.
Not in a 1x10⁶ years.

MS and Nokia (prior to the purchase) are like a little mozzie bite to Apple and Google.
Yes. And continue to be.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Can anyone clue me in: how can Microsoft buy Nokia for $7.2 billion, if the current market cap for NOK is $14 billion? How does acquisition of publicly traded companies work?
Cos they only bought the Devices.
NSN is where the money in NOK comes from.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Helsinki Finland
Originally Posted by snowboarder View Post

The only sad part to this is that now Microsoft owns all the Nokia mobile patents and they WILL start doing whatever they can to squash Android, Sailfish, Tizen...basically any linux based mobile will now be on their radar. Get ready for a slew of lawsuits against these linux based OSs...

SB
As far as I know, Nokia still owns its patents, they will not been sold to Microsoft. This is a good news for Finland.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vpk For This Useful Post:

Tags
espionage, trojan man