Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I'm very curious about VNC servers. AFAIK, there are x0vnc servers that copy existing displays and xvnc servers that create virtual framebuffers/displays. All the VNC servers on Maemo are of the x0vnc kind, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to have one that makes a virtual display..?

I've tried compiling TigerVNC, but I can't figure out how to make it compile an xvnc binary. What kind of wizardry is required for this? At this writing moment I have a nice SDK that I set up manually from a rootstrap. Most attempts of trying CMake end with it not finding X11, and, right now, not Xtest either.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

What is it you're trying to do exactly?

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Basically, I'm trying to make a remotely accessible VNC desktop on the N900 that isn't the Hildon desktop. It's based on running a second X server that is forwarded over VNC. It's faster than the regular copying servers and it might also allow for a more desktop-like environment, which sounds fun.
There's not much reason to ask about why I want to do this, really.

Use easy-debian. You can install vnc-server in there. I did this once before to run Task coach inside the N900 as a proof of concept.