Notices

Ok I wanted to start this rather controversial thread not so that I can find pirated software, but rather open up for discussion regarding this matter.

One of the problems with maemo is its lack of applications compared with some other OS:s. Another problem, that I foresee, is potentially the lack of hacked applications for n900.

Now don't get me wrong. What I mean is that many people are looking for devices not only with many apps but also apps that they can get for free, i.e., pirated software.

Many people, not only students, cannot afford buying gps software for 70 bucks. Not to mention the majorety of people living in non-Western countries (think India, China, etc.).

Some other people just want as many apps as possible because "its cool", they want to show of their new phone, or just simply because "its fun to collect".

I have heard many people say that they will buy Xbox360 over playstation 3 because you can download cracked Games.

What do you guys think?

My personal opinion is that for any device related with software of some sort; music, games, apps etc.. there must be a certain degree of interest in allowing cracked software to exist.

I am a strong believer that many hardware manufacturers intentionally allow creepholes just so that more systems will be sold. It is also my belief that the best thing for Nokia would be if heavy apps were crackable. In fact I am conviced; I think Nokia intentionally (but barely legally) used the Nintendo emulators (links now removed since Nintendo complained) as fuel to sell n900.

Only time will tell how it will be for Maemo 5. I wonder how Nokia thinks and how Developers think. The developers will probably want many devices to be sold, but keep as many buyers as possible. Its optimization of economic profit in some way

Last edited by solpete; 2009-12-01 at 12:19. Reason: Offending title.

Someone who can't afford 99 cents to pay for apps is going to afford to pay $650 for an unlocked phone?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to johnnyrockets911 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Oh my god, I wont be able to pirate any apps..... BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL FREE!!

Definitely a dealbreaker for me

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to togashi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnnyrockets911 View Post
Someone who can't afford 99 cents to pay for apps is going to afford to pay $650 for an unlocked phone?
Well this thread was not only meant for n900, but rather Maemo 5 and Maemo 6. Hopefully there will come devices for much less than that in the near future to expand the user base.

You know, people in India and China uses mobile phones. Poor people as well.

Last edited by solpete; 2009-11-29 at 23:33.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
to the original Poster:

Do you know anything about Linux?

Originally Posted by togashi View Post

And you think 3:rd party gps software will be free? And games from Electronic Arts for n900? I am hoping that we will get commercial applications for n900 (which we will soon).

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
to the original Poster:

Do you know anything about Linux?
I am using Scientific Linux at work and Ubuntu at home

The Following User Says Thank You to solpete For This Useful Post:
I think you have a vast misconception of the linux developer base. Nevertheless, this thread won't end up nicely.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by solpete View Post
I am hoping that we will get commercial applications for n900 (which we will soon).
Why would a company port their software to a platform if the users of the platform are a bunch of criminals looking to steal their software?

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by togashi View Post

You do of course know that there are a number of applications, runnihg on Maemo, that are commercial and not free?

Tags
illegal activities, pirated software