Hi every body, i am not a developer i am just and advance user.

i love my N9 but the sound quality really need some improvements, like and equalizer, Dolby is not enough.

i love Symbian sound quality, my 700 with Nokia Belle FP1 has a really good sound, deep bass, diferent equalizer settings and Dolby.

i want to ask you if some developer can port the audio libraries from Symbian^3 to Harmattan.
It is and idea, someone port the libraries from Belle FP1 to the N8 (an old device) and every body is happy.

The sound quality of the N9 is very good compared to most other smartphones. So be glad for that!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Yes, i agree with you is very good but not good enough for many of us.

Can be better.

i pray for an equalizer like Symbian!!

i am a lover of the deep bass and better sound quality, only change my headphone to Audio Technica was not enough.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I have to agree with @dannejanne there...

I used to have an iPod before (got it as a present, wouldn't otherwice propably have bought it because I think it is priced too high) and when I got my N9 I have not used the iPod since then.

N9 sound quality is so good I am using it exclusively as my music device, it's such a bother to carry multiple devices around. The iPod had maybe better designed UI but the sound quality is no better, at least in my ears. (I am usually listening to mp3's encoded at 320kbits/s rate, vbr2 with Lame...)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
i agree i had and iPod touch 4, the sound quality really is not like the device price.
a few months i bought and Nokia 700 and i love the sound i using the same headphone on my N9 but really i prefer the sound in Symbian device.

The N9 sound quality is better than many very expensive smartphones (like iPhone) but is not better than Symbian devices and are Nokia too! (little brothers of The N9)

Or maybe i have problems in my hears.

i use .aac (lossless) and .MP3 at 320 kbps too. some times .flac

Last edited by francalero; 2012-11-19 at 08:49.

Originally Posted by francalero View Post

i am a lover of the deep bass and better sound quality, only change my headphone to Audio Technica was not enough.
For me the bass is enough. I got a pair of Audio-Technica M50 and they sound very good. But surely an EQ is always good to have. I just don't think it will happen with the N9.

I also have a Galaxy Nexus and it sounds terrible in comparison. Totally flat sound. Not even an equalizer can fix it to near the levels of the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Yah, my symbian device music player is better than the music player of my N9. So I bought other music players like Sigma Player and Flow Player.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcons71 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
It'd probably be possible to achieve a pretty flexible equaliser and general audio effects system using the pulseaudio LADSPA module. This would allow for any number of different LADSPA effects to be used system wide, e.g. reverb, echo, equalisation, pitch shifting, pitch correction, amplification, etc.

This module isn't installed by default, however I think it might be included in the pulseaudio-module-extra package. Unfortunately this is hosted in the repositories at http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com which have been down for a while now.

If Nokia ever fix the repositories I might have a go at writing something graphical based around this approach, until then its a bit too much effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
It'd probably be possible to achieve a pretty flexible equaliser and general audio effects system using the pulseaudio LADSPA module. This would allow for any number of different LADSPA effects to be used system wide, e.g. reverb, echo, equalisation, pitch shifting, pitch correction, amplification, etc.

This module isn't installed by default, however I think it might be included in the pulseaudio-module-extra package. Unfortunately this is hosted in the repositories at http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com which have been down for a while now.

If Nokia ever fix the repositories I might have a go at writing something graphical based around this approach, until then its a bit too much effort.
i hope you can find the way to do it.

i will be your first tester man!!

was told that Galaxy Note 2 have superior audio output than all Nokia's device. anyone can clarify this?

The Following User Says Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post: