Notices

I am working on port some kde apps to the n800, here you have some images from my actual work.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Looking good!!!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Nice I could not get past a cert issue with kdepim, so I could not get kmail or korganizer to compile. Nice work. Will you be sharing? will you be porting everything? The reason I ask is I have a tarball to release about 160MB 720MB uncompressed. It is really only something to play with and get people motivated to want this. I would like to see the community develop an entire KDE environement. So my question is there any reason I should do that, if you are actually developing KDE for n800, I would rather help you, or do nothing.

Questions,
what version of KDE are you compiling?
what verion qt

are you developing apps or all KDE? including alternate window manager, in this case kwin?

Nice to see someone else bending the rules

qt-x11-free-3.3.8
kde 3.5.6

I build kde4 and qt4 some time ago, but kde4 is really unstable, we must to await some time....

I did some hacks to the qt, to enable right click using tap and hold... Amarok is hacked too using the gst dspmp3 for mp3 playback, nice performance .

I build all kdebase, kdelibs, kdepim, kdenetwork, kdemultimedia, kdebluetooth.... And some of its dependencies like ruby, dbus-qt, libxslt...

Kopete is running fine too, but it doesnt recognize the webcam. Anyways you can connect to any network.

Now i am trying to integrate qt/kde apps to the maemo desktop, but most of the features are hard hacked into gtk (fullscreen, virtual keyboard)...

What are the tangible benefits for using KDE or RoxBox or other alternatives to the Hildon interface?

Is it primarily so you can run non-Hildonized apps?

I had a Zaurus at one time, and I found that using the alternate window managers was cumbersome because of the relatively small window widgets that had to be manipulated via the stylus. I would imagine on the N770 or N800 the difficulty would be very similar.

You'd think they'd (Nokia) have some kind of wrapper that could run anything within the Hildon UI so people wouldn't have to boot into an alternate window manager, or rewrite apps. Hildon should intercept the standard UI functions of X apps so developers wouldn't have to port, just recompile.

Supergeek: You pose a very interesting question. I am not qualified to comment on, or necessarily even understand, the technical aspects you discuss re the Hildon UI, but I suppose the answer might in part boil down to why any of us choose to utilize (or experiement with) different window managers on our primary Linux boxes. Is it principally only for cosmetics or, somehwat more substantively, for greater ease of use. For my own interest, will the OPENBOX-ROX or KDE adaptations for the Nokia lead to easier use. Whether additional applications might become accessible through such features is for me a big question mark.

Great to see this

Im looking forward to get a newbie help to install KDE to on my n800.

PS: But i prefer WinXP Tablet Edition *g*

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Supergeek View Post
What are the tangible benefits for using KDE or RoxBox or other alternatives to the Hildon interface?

Is it primarily so you can run non-Hildonized apps?
I don't know about others, but personally I like to be the one in control of my desktop, not the window manager. Hildon forces me to run applications fullscreen, whether I like that or not; Hildon doesn't allow me to (easily) change desktop fonts or eyecandy; Hildon is, as Sean Luke pointed out, in various places quite un-ergonomically set up, but I can't change that.

I had a Zaurus at one time, and I found that using the alternate window managers was cumbersome because of the relatively small window widgets that had to be manipulated via the stylus. I would imagine on the N770 or N800 the difficulty would be very similar.
Maybe, but KDE is flexible. It wouldn't be that difficult to make it nicer and there are tons of skins out there that give you the window widgets you like.

You'd think they'd (Nokia) have some kind of wrapper that could run anything within the Hildon UI so people wouldn't have to boot into an alternate window manager, or rewrite apps. Hildon should intercept the standard UI functions of X apps so developers wouldn't have to port, just recompile.
You'd think, but -- no.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I don't know about others, but personally I like to be the one in control of my desktop, not the window manager. Hildon forces me to run applications fullscreen, whether I like that or not; Hildon doesn't allow me to (easily) change desktop fonts or eyecandy; Hildon is, as Sean Luke pointed out, in various places quite un-ergonomically set up, but I can't change that.

Maybe, but KDE is flexible. It wouldn't be that difficult to make it nicer and there are tons of skins out there that give you the window widgets you like.

You'd think, but -- no.
The good thing about all this is you really can run KDE and Hildon apps side by side. It all runs under X and kwin is just another window manager for the applications to use. There are always little details like all the status bar apps but I'm hopeful we'll be able to work around or integrate them.

At any rate I can't wait to see Amarok on the n800!! When I saw the work penguinbait did on compiling KDE I thought to myself that Amarok would be just too big to fit. I am happily wrong, although I'd like to be able to play with it just to make sure

Larry

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by kkito View Post
qt-x11-free-3.3.8
kde 3.5.6

I build kde4 and qt4 some time ago, but kde4 is really unstable, we must to await some time....

I did some hacks to the qt, to enable right click using tap and hold... Amarok is hacked too using the gst dspmp3 for mp3 playback, nice performance .

I build all kdebase, kdelibs, kdepim, kdenetwork, kdemultimedia, kdebluetooth.... And some of its dependencies like ruby, dbus-qt, libxslt...

Kopete is running fine too, but it doesnt recognize the webcam. Anyways you can connect to any network.

Now i am trying to integrate qt/kde apps to the maemo desktop, but most of the features are hard hacked into gtk (fullscreen, virtual keyboard)...
kkito is there any way you could release the changes you've made or a tarball of the compiled applications? I am really excited about the possibilites.

Larry