Active Topics

Notices

I'm trying to get openvpn to run on my N900. I installed OpenVPN applet, rebooted.

I have two sets of linux settings files, one for my own OpenVPN server (works from normal linux machine) and one for commercial operator (also works from a normal linux machine)

I have changed the ovpn files to point to /etc/openvpn/ for the keys and certs.

But in both cases (tried both tun and tap modes) the only thing that happens when I try to connect is that I get a "starting openvpn connection" yellow box that goes away and error box that states socket.connect() failed

From what I could see online it should be due to openvpn not finding the keys and certs but the files are edited and it should be able to find all the files in /etc/openvpn

I'm running latest powerkernel but not sure if that should matter in this case.
I've also tried it over both mobile and WiFI connection and exactly same thing happens.

Any ideas on what to try?

socket.connect() is basically a bug in OpenVPN Applet. This happens when openvpn process fails to start because of error in configuration file, like missing files, syntax error etc.

Try to start openvpn from command line to see where the error is.

Try entering the absolute path for your certificate and key files like:
/etc/openvpn/cert.crt

The same config files work on linux for starting a connection.
I'm not sure how to do it from command line. Do I have to be in some special directory?

Ibinis
I have that already. That was one of the first things I tried.

open xterminal and issue the command

openvpn /etc/openvpn/client.conf

assuming client.conf is your config file. This should throw up the errors which will help you to debug the problem.

Oh god I'm so stupid. The config files were UTF8 format and openvpn wants ANSI coding.

Working perfectly now. Thanks for all the help and sorry for missing something that simple.

Now the only problem is that maemo-update-resolvconf fails.

When I run it in the command promt it says Warning: failed running command (-- up/--down): could not execute external program.

This is directly after /etc/openvpn/maemo-update-resolveconf tun0 1500 1558 192.168.xxx.6 192.168.xxx.5 init

I do have "script-security 2" in the config file and I'm executing openvpn as root so it should work.