i recieved my nokia BL-5J battery from amazon today:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Nok...8238684&sr=8-3

the hologram appears similar to the fake in the picture, but all other details are faithful to the original.

On the other hand, you can have a lot of lovely no-brand headphones on eBay. They pretty much all seem to be made in the Sony factories, but no pretence and you get surprisingly much for less than what you'd pay for the counterfeits. They'll be better and cheaper than the cheapest Creative branded headphones any day.

Headphones is one of the things I like to import via eBay. I just don't have any illusion it'll be as high build or sound quality as genuine Sennheisers. But I find it to be as good sound quality as Behringer.

I probably mentioned this several times here already, but I cannot emphasize enough just how important it is to make sure you're getting the real deal when it comes to power stuff. That includes batteries and AC adapters. While I put in the latter because it has to do with high voltage (anything above 32 V), the lithium-ion chemistry is quite tempermental.

If you search YouTube for videos of lithium-ion batteries exploding, you'll see what I mean. To keep that from happening, batteries need some form of protection, which I bet is the first thing the counterfeiters are going to shed either out of ignorance or cost.

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Originally Posted by volt View Post
There is no way to be certain if the battery you buy from eBay really is from a returned, faulty phone. Does better English skills, a more personal writing style, a 99.3 instead of 98.3 rating guarantee that it's not a counterfeit battery? Or a higher price than the obvious fakes? Not at all.
No, but past dealings with the same supplier, their reliability and honesty over a number of transactions plus the quality of the batteries make me fairly certain... lol

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
i recieved my nokia BL-5J battery from amazon today:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Nok...8238684&sr=8-3

the hologram appears similar to the fake in the picture, but all other details are faithful to the original.
The fake hologram is actually almost identical to the original. On the picture, they look different because they are not lit from the same angle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
safe design plus safe circuits are outrageous too... especially with li ion
You failed to mention that the photo is of an original dell battery, not a fake one.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Bristol, UK
Came across 2 fake BL-5J batteries

The easiest way to check a battery is by looking at the hologram. The Nokia logo within the hologram should look like a long tube with dots on the left, right, top and bottom.

The following link from Nokia Europe has a video of how the hologram should work.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...k-your-battery

If you do buy a fake battery from Amazon or eBay, please leave negative feedback, they can't leave you negative feedback any more.

Originally Posted by BonusB View Post
If you do buy a fake battery from Amazon or eBay, please leave negative feedback, they can't leave you negative feedback any more.
No, you should complain directly to Amazon or eBay, since this is fraud. Maybe unintentional fraud (the imitations are good enough so that I can believe some sellers have been fooled), but fraud nevertheless.

What do you guys think of dealextremes genuine?
Some report they are fake some say real.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32444

I will probably buy one but for the N95 (BL-5F) and i'll report back if i do.
I've bought fakes before (with the seller mentioning it was genuine) so i know a bit about fakes and genuines.

Eikido

End of the story: I finally got a no-name battery. That one is good. Subjectively, I would say that it lasts at least as long as the original, maybe even a bit more... It doesn't fit quite as well as the original, but it works nevertheless.
It says "lithium polymer" on the casing. Apparently, this is the secret codeword...