Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Matan, if I install that modified-hildon-desktop, can i revert back to the original by just uninstalling it?

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Yes. The original binary is still in the system. You can return to it by a simple

mv /usr/bin/hildon-desktop.launch.orig /usr/bin/hildon-desktop.launch

The removal script of modified-hildon-desktop does this, but I did not test this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
This is now implemented: Install modified-hildon-desktop from here.
Thats GREAT!

Jeah! Ouhm... Mmh... but at the moment it sounds only on the paper good for me. I'm really afraid to brick my beloved device.

Could something like this find the way to extra-devel and extra-testing?

I would like to install it from the normal maemo-extra repository.

It can't be in extras repositories since hildon-desktop in PR1.1 needs new libraries, but extras-devel is built with older library.

About bricking device - No chance of bricking it as in making it the equivalent of a brick.

If you mean brick as in requiring a reflash - there is a chance of that, but if you read this forum you'll note that a lot of packages might cause that, including Nokia's upgrades, so having a current backup is always a good idea. I do include special functionality to help in case of this package creating a reboot loop, see here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41166

On a personal note - I think that asking for features and then refusing to test their implementation is not very nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
It can't be in extras repositories since hildon-desktop in PR1.1 needs new libraries, but extras-devel is built with older library.
Hm... and upload a version that can only run with PR1.1 and brings up a error message with PR1.0 and 1.0.1 is not a good idea?

If you mean brick as in requiring a reflash - there is a chance of that, but if you read this forum you'll note that a lot of packages might cause that, including Nokia's upgrades, so having a current backup is always a good idea. I do include special functionality to help in case of this package creating a reboot loop, see here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41166

On a personal note - I think that asking for features and then refusing to test their implementation is not very nice.
I hope you can understand my point of view when I confide you that I'm trying to get familar with Linux since only 5 Weeks!

With my suggestion I hoped it could get implemneted and updated with a normal rollout and firmware update to improve the N900 experience for everyone.

If I have enought time at the weekend I will give your solution a try (after a full backup). But I still hope there could be a better way in the future for this improvement.

I've managed to made a full backup of my Device. I tried to install your modified Hildon Desktop. But it's not longer in your repository. Is this correct?
Hmm... okay. I had anyway a bad feeling about this.

Have you thought about the possibility to release the patches / changes to the official Hildon GIT?
In my opinion it should be integrated in one of the next updates...

It is in the repository. Do you get some kind of error from H-A-M when trying to install?

I'll try to get the patches to official hildon-desktop, but I am not optimistic about this.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Okay. Step by step.
I clicked your link. I've added your repository. Then I accept to install. I pressed continue. - Aaaaah! Now it worked! I tested it again during answering.

The first try the Application Manager said it's not in your repository. (sorry, I have not the exact error message, I have to translate it from my german device)
After this error I downloaded your Packages.gz manually to my PC. I found the modified-hildon-desktop V 1.03 in there. But the Application Manager still failed. So I tought you removed a needed package from the server.

Okay. I had some glitchy bad screen effekts after the install. After 2 Task changes they're disappeared. It works so far.

Edit:
So, I changed the config (explained here) and it works great!

Just like in my dreams!

The only unpleasant thing I can find is, I have to wait until the dashboard animation finished. That's not really nice. I have to wait and can't just press in rapid sequence [CTRL] + [Backspace]. But, thats not a big problem for me. But it does not feel very well.

Can you confirm this?

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-01-22 at 22:11. Reason: tested the second step

Okay. I have a bug report for you:

At http://wiki.maemo.org/Modified_Hildon_Desktop
•Non-configurable changes:
•Left and right arrows change desktops in the home screen.
I've got a german N900 with a german keyboard layout. Only the right arrow works like described. The left arrow does nothing. The Desktop changes to the left with the [.] (dot) Button. It's on the german Device on the same place like the left arrow on the English Devices.

I'll try to get the patches to official hildon-desktop, but I am not optimistic about this.
Hmm...

Have you made some bad experiences?

Your work should be worth it! And it improves the device significant.

When it goes not in the official firmware. Please keep working to bring it thru the Extra-Devel and Testing to the official Maemo Extra repository.
More people should enyoj the improved dashboard.

---
So, please. Vote at the Brainstorm!

Indeed the animation is a problem, since it must be finished, otherwise task switching does not work correctly.

You can speed up the animations by editing /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini .

I can also try to specifically accelerate animations caused by ctrl-backspace, but that is a lower priority right now.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post: