Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I seriously wonder though, if the phone community can really handle an internet tablet and all its wonderful flaws. I'll give you the 810 is very stable now, but there was flakiness first firmware release. Now updates can be done on the fly, but now your phone is subject to your Internet tablets problems. Install something wrong I can live without my tablet until its repaired, reflashed whatever, but will I still be able to call for help if my internet tablet phone does not boot?
This is the part I'm surprised about - that Nokia thinks they can get a stable Maemo phone this soon with seamless and hesitation free interaction between telephony functions and the rest of the device. Or maybe they don't and it will be as buggy as the 770 was at first...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Thxxxx YoDude !
Maemo rocks !
The community we all belong to rocks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
This is the part I'm surprised about - that Nokia thinks they can get a stable Maemo phone this soon with seamless and hesitation free interaction between telephony functions and the rest of the device. Or maybe they don't and it will be as buggy as the 770 was at first...
True that^...

Unless the beta testers were all aliens and there is a parallel universe. I can't see how a Maemo phone won't need massive amounts of community support.

That is why I believe because of price, availability, and the durability of the Diablo devices it will be 3 or 4 months before any veterans of the display wars will contribute any thing meaningful. During that time this community will shrink or only this dang thread will grow and the Maemo phone will go over like a fart in an elevator.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by fms View Post
May I ask how you are going to control games on a device missing the dpad? hjkl?
Mind control. With the option cranial insert accessory.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
How might the N900's vibration function will be used (assuming there is one)?
Well, you put it in your pocket ...

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I suspect Nokia will release it when it's ready. Remember nothing has been announced yet.

By the By: This video shows that the N97 indeed uses a BP-4L battery. It may be an indication that the N900 may use the same (similar size), which could mean a spare battery for most of the folks here who purchase one.

YARR!
}:^)~
2Cs

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Well, you put it in your pocket ...
After the Capt'n posts his google talk user ID as a sticky on t.m.o ;]

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Finally I could catch up on this long thread (at the expense of my Danish sleeping time).

There was one post that got many thanks that started saying...

Originally Posted by Paxicide View Post
The part that gets me is that someone at sometime had a stroke of genius at Nokia. Some designer or team of designers came up with the 770 then bested it with the amazing N800. These devices were ground-breaking and an evolutionary step ahead in technology.
Yes, this is part of a real story.

The rest of your post borders pure fantasy though, in the category of Conspiracy Theory. That's ok since being outside of the Maemo team you have no easy way to check the facts. From the inside is clear though that the core people that had a brilliant idea and pursued it through the first Maemo releases and Internet Tablets are more or less the same that are pushing Fremantle, Harmattan and compatible devices.

Some concepts and ideas are just the same, some others have naturally evolved with the experience, releases, data acquired, feedback received and lessons learned. Innovation and business as usual.

I can't speak for everybody, but I would say all the old-timers involved in Fremantle development think Maemo 5 and the hardware coming with it are the right steps forward. We have never got the kind of discussions you are having here at length and this makes me think that most of you will be just as excited when you get the real stuff we are working on announced, explained and working in your hands.

And now I should really go to sleep.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
After the Capt'n posts his google talk user ID as a sticky on t.m.o ;]
t.m.o? Two mating octopi? ... I considered that...

YARR!
10Cappies

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by capt'n corrupt View Post
t.m.o? Two mating octopi? ... I considered that... :d

yarr!
10cappies
TMO bile
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile