Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
As you may know, the arrangement of the 4-pole jack of the nokia phones is not compatible with the one from apple.
Sadly, nowadays every headphone and mobile manufacturer follows the non-standard apple way (I think even Nokia on the WPs), and I want an earphone+mic set-up for my N9 (or N900).

So I'm going to get my soldering gun and just build an adapter (it's actually easy, you just need to invert mass and mic).

So, two points:
- If anyone is interested, I'll buy more components and make some extra adapters (for only price of components + postage, it's not for the money). I can send them in the UK (or in hand in london).
- if anyone knows different sources for cheap and nice looking 4-pole 3.5 jack and 4 way cables not sold by the 100m in the uk, please advise

Right now, I'll try my luck with farnell and maplin:
this or this for the female
this or this for the male
and some cable like this or some from farnell if I found some.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
As you may know, the arrangement of the 4-pole jack of the nokia phones is not compatible with the one from apple.
Sadly, nowadays every headphone and mobile manufacturer follows the non-standard apple way (I think even Nokia on the WPs), and I want an earphone+mic set-up for my N9 (or N900).

So I'm going to get my soldering gun and just build an adapter (it's actually easy, you just need to invert mass and mic).

So, two points:
- If anyone is interested, I'll buy more components and make some extra adapters (for only price of components + postage, it's not for the money). I can send them in the UK (or in hand in london).
- if anyone knows different sources for cheap and nice looking 4-pole 3.5 jack and 4 way cables not sold by the 100m in the uk, please advise

Right now, I'll try my luck with farnell and maplin:
this or this for the female
this or this for the male
and some cable like this or some from farnell if I found some.
I think you can buy these for quite cheap can't you?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...79#post1117179
But nice idea if you're just doing it for fun!

at 10$ + transcontinental shipping on http://www.meelec.com, building one is quite competitive (but it's not really a question of price for a 500€+ device lol)
I do it because I can change it if I prefer straight/bended plug, I can repair it, etc.. and it's probably as fast
just kinda nerdy maybe.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
well, works like a charm
The mic level does not seem very loud, but it works.
Clicking on the headset button (which I think shorts the mic and the mass) play/pause the media player, with a long press go to the next track (that should work with any headset actually).
Attached Images

Tags
3.5 jack, trrs connector