Active Topics

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by camaroer87 View Post
Then put the n800 into a plastic bag and then into the freezer for like a half hour.
I'd try the fridge first!

And why do they still ship the buggy firmware?
Hint: Nokia have given their service/complaints division a humourously ironic name.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
I bought my 4th N800 yesterday (for other people) and after an initial charge I couldn't turn it back on for the firmware update. After trying many things I did the freezer thing and was able to get it back on for the update. Everything seems fine now even with several on-off cycles. Strange but it worked.

I had many of the symptoms in this thread (dead n800 after running down battery to zero - unable to restart, occasional charging icon and/or NOKIA screen but boot never progressed beyond that)

Tried many of the suggestions but to no avail - including the fridge

I figured the battery was SO flat that the n800 might have some flawed logic in it that would not allow the battery to charge so I pulled the battery and wired it directly (using speaker wire and sellotape - not pretty!) to a spare Nokia ACP-12X charger that I had lying around. I wired it as inside + outer -.

30 mins later, when I put it back in the n800 it booted first time. It is now up and running and charging happily. If there is such a thing as an external battery charger then I am buying one tomorrow!

Meanwhile I may look at a reflash as bunanson, in post #100, seems to think 2007.51-3 has a beneficial effect

Last edited by coontey; 2008-05-09 at 01:07.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by coontey View Post
Meanwhile I may look at a reflash as bunanson, in post #100, seems to think 2007.51-3 has a beneficial effect
51-3 was released specifically to solve the timing issues that caused the power-on problems. . . .

Originally Posted by coontey View Post
so I pulled the battery and wired it directly (using speaker wire and sellotape - not pretty!) to a spare Nokia ACP-12X charger
OMG!! Those "charger"s are really just power supplies. You are lucky the battery
didn't explode. It is a protected cell (chip inside), but you should not rely on that.

What you want is usually called a "desktop charger" which has a chip to regulate the charging of Li-Ion cells, with both current and voltage limits.
There are plenty of cheap ones on ebay etc. Search on 'E61', which takes the same battery. $6 delivered, on ebay.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...esktop+charger

But I don't use an external charger, as it means a shutdown and reboot for the N800 to change batteries.

The Following User Says Thank You to myk For This Useful Post:
Duly purchased

Tx

My N800 has only occasionally refused to turn on, and removing the battery for a few seconds and replacing it has always worked for me. I don't plan to reflash until there is a complete new OS available, it's just too much trouble.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Asheville NC
My 800 wouldn't go past the boot screen that says NOKIA. Tried everything including what was above in previous threads. PCs wouldn't recognize it thru the USB cable either. Finally sent it back to Nokia-Huntsville under warranty. They switched it out for a different, working one in 10 days. Not bad service! I'm used to that with Palm. They never return your unit repaired. They exchange them.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Tri-State/NY/(631)
Hi Folks,

As much as I wanted to kick off my membership to this forum with rave N800 reviews and victory dances, looks like it will be the flip side... Since day two of my N800 ownership, I've had the 'no power up' issue. Full charge/half charge/freezer battery/OS2007/OS2008/card in/card out/battery in and out and in and out again... you name it - no power up after turning off manually via power button.

A couple hours on the stock charger or a few on a 750mA version will usually get the charging icon up and then powerable.

Outside of the currently 404'd?!?!

"...http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16876,
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=144658..."

'fixes', I have not seen a cohesive, unified solution (outside of a return gamble/exchange + dowtime) in the last 11 pages of anxiety and distress to address this issue.

I have yet to launch a dialogue with NOKIA, but was wondering... Is this sheer lack of credible support odd and unnacceptable to anyone else out there?

Respectfully,

Originally Posted by #800 View Post
. Since day two of my N800 ownership, I've had the 'no power up' issue. Full charge/half charge/freezer battery/OS2007/OS2008/card in/card out/battery in and out and in and out again... you name it - no power up after turning off manually via power button.
  • Why are you powering it off? This is an alway-on gadget.
  • Have you flashed to the latest firmware? That fixes the common power-on problem. If so, you may have a different hardware problem.
  • As a temporary fix, cool the unit in a fridge (or freezer if that fails). You make it sound like you cooled the battery, not the unit.
  • you are correct that Nokia "support" is very poor. But you will find clear answers in these forums.

Mike