Active Topics

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
what u-boot is that?
pali's u-boot (which I dearly call u-boot-menu).

I googled to one of your kernels in a hard-to-find corner, and this one seems to initialize the uSD. I have just put the modules on place and I will try again asap.

[UPDATE] It boots and the uSD is mounted. The are tons of init erros related to pty.

The system seems to halt after starting wicd. The last thing I have is 'Loading /lib/udev/keymaps/nokia-n900-keys.map'.

And I am getting old for this font size ;-)

Last edited by caveman; 2012-06-21 at 21:57. Reason: update

Ok, I'm now trying the install.sh script, and here are some impressions:

The script doesn't like /dev/mmcblk0 as the microsd card. It then tries to access individual partitions as /dev/mmcblk3 instead of /dev/mmcblk0p3, and everyting break. Had to put the hard in my phone and then go through usb cable: the card is then visible as /dev/sdc.

If one does not specify the size of the FAT partition, then there's no sdc3 on device and the whole thing breaks.

The script requires parted, but it's not listed amongst the prerequisites.

After that the following got printed out:
Code:
ls: cannot access files/bme-rx-51-bin-0.8.55-2.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/contextkit-maemo-battery-rx51-bin-0.7.14-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/i2c-tools-3.0.3-1.5.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/kernel-adaptation-n900-2.6.37-10.6.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/libbmeipc-bin-0.8.55-2.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/libcal-rx-51-bin-0.2.5-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/libisi-bin-0.2-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/liblas-bin-0.2-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/liblocation-bin-0.2-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/liblocation-headers-0.102-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/libmlocknice-0.1-1.5.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/libppu-bin-0.1-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/libsysinfo-rx51-bin-0%7e20100226.1-2.1.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/libwl1251-bin-0.14-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/location-daemon-bin-0.2-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/location-proxy-bin-0.2-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/location-settings-default-0.2-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/mkinitrd-7.0.17-2.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/n900-camera-firmware-0.0.26-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/nokia-n900-configs-0.7.2-2.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/sysinfod-rx51-bin-0%7e20100226.1-2.1.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/sysinfod-rx51-common-bin-0%7e20100226.1-2.1.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/sysinfod-rx51-tool-bin-0%7e20100226.1-2.1.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/sysinfod-rx51-udev-rules-0%7e20100226.1-2.1.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/ti-wl1251-firmware-0.4-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/wl1251-cal-bin-0.18-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.armv7hl.rpm: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access files/bcm-bt-firmware-0.21rc3-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.noarch.rpm: No such file or directory
Failed to download package bcm-bt-firmware-0.21rc3-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.noarch.rpm
ls: cannot access files/nokia-usb-networking-2.0-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.noarch.rpm: No such file or directory
Failed to download package nokia-usb-networking-2.0-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.noarch.rpm
ls: cannot access files/pulseaudio-settings-n900-0.1.4-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.noarch.rpm: No such file or directory
Failed to download package pulseaudio-settings-n900-0.1.4-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.noarch.rpm
ls: cannot access files/udev-rules-nokia-n900-0.11-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.noarch.rpm: No such file or directory
Failed to download package udev-rules-nokia-n900-0.11-1.2.Nemo.Adaptation.N900.noarch.rpm
ls: cannot access ubuntu-12.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+omap.img: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access ubuntu-12.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+omap.img.gz: No such file or directory
Now it's downloading Ubuntu image and I'll see what gets out of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadzik For This Useful Post:
@int_ua

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Personal

I think this might work with "linaro-hwpack-create" without the need of a launchpad PPA, if added in config file.
UPDATE2: see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=281

UPDATE: works. I was able to create a linaro hwpack with kernel and integration packages.

This is the config I used (probably wrong and incomplete, need advice):
Code:
[hwpack]
format=2.0
name=linaro-n900
architectures=armhf
origin=Linaro
packages=linux-image-2.6.37-n900 linux-headers-2.6.37-n900 kubuntu-mobile-n900-integration
assume-installed=linaro-headless
mmc_id=0:1
kernel_addr=0x82000000
initrd_addr=0x83000000
u_boot_in_boot_part=No
partition_layout=bootfs_rootfs
kernel_file=boot/vmlinuz-*-n900
initrd_file=boot/initrd.img-*-n900
extra_boot_options=omapfb.vram=0:2M,1:2M,2:2M mtdoops.mtddev=2 nosplash
boot_script=boot.scr

[ubuntu]
sources-entry=http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports precise main universe

[updates]
sources-entry=http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports precise-updates main universe

[security]
sources-entry=http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports precise-security main universe

[linaro]
sources-entry=http://ppa.launchpad.net/linaro-maintainers/overlay/ubuntu precise main

[n900]
sources-entry=file:/usr/local/mydebs ./

Last edited by unknown.obvious; 2012-06-22 at 13:15.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post:
While playing with linaro hwpack and stuff I came to the conclusion that linaro stuff sucks. Forget it, that path isn't worth going.

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by unknown.obvious View Post
While playing with linaro hwpack and stuff I came to the conclusion that linaro stuff sucks. Forget it, that path isn't worth going.
But why? Some design issues? Have you talked about it with linaro people?

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tadzik View Post
The script doesn't like /dev/mmcblk0 as the microsd card. It then tries to access individual partitions as /dev/mmcblk3 instead of /dev/mmcblk0p3, and everyting break. Had to put the hard in my phone and then go through usb cable: the card is then visible as /dev/sdc.

If one does not specify the size of the FAT partition, then there's no sdc3 on device and the whole thing breaks.

The script requires parted, but it's not listed amongst the prerequisites.
ls: cannot access
are just checks that you don't already have it. Will silence them. And will fix FAT issue.
Nice catch, thanks
Are you trying to use it on the phone itself? chroot doesn't work on it AFAIK.

Originally Posted by caveman View Post
The are tons of init erros related to pty.

The system seems to halt after starting wicd. The last thing I have is 'Loading /lib/udev/keymaps/nokia-n900-keys.map'.
pty errors must be fixed after dist-upgrade (bug link somewhere in the thread). Hint: there is a just-chroot.sh

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
But why? Some design issues? Have you talked about it with linaro people?
While there obviously some bugs in your script, after trying linaro tools (instead of reading about it) I think your script is actually more advanced and better. So... from my point of view there isn't much to talk to linaro people about anymore. All in all it is only my opinion, maybe I am wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by unknown.obvious View Post
While there obviously some bugs in your script, after trying linaro tools (instead of reading about it) I think your script is actually more advanced and better. So... from my point of view there isn't much to talk to linaro people about anymore. All in all it is only my opinion, maybe I am wrong.
But these tools wasn't adapted for N900 yet, obviously. Actually, tgall_foo suggested that we adapt it. And since Linaro is a direct link to upstream Ubuntu components I'd like to use exactly it. We just need to file some bug reports, don't we? I haven't tried it, actually. Stopped on the hwpack absence.
Besides, are there any alternatives?
Can you please add the exact problems you have with linaro?

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
But these tools wasn't adapted for N900 yet, obviously. Actually, tgall_foo suggested that we adapt it.
After what I have seen, the n900 could be adapted by tgall_foo in less than a hour, maybe even in a small coffee break. I seriously think so.

And since Linaro is a direct link to upstream Ubuntu components I'd like to use exactly it. We just need to file some bug reports, don't we? I haven't tried it, actually. Stopped on the hwpack absence.
Maybe I see things to negative but I expect them to analyse the work done by us, close the bug reports and say somesthing like "Sorry, we don't do omap3 anymore" and put some new barrier in their tools to stop "outsiders" from doing stuff.

Besides, are there any alternatives?
Probably not.

Can you please add the exact problems you have with linaro?
A very subjective urge to smash my PC, after seeing how things (not) work. Sorry, but that is the best I can do for now and I need some sleep.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unknown.obvious For This Useful Post: