Active Topics

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
I might upload a picture of my housing (unfitted) tonight! still a little worried its fake, but it looks fine!

I have even tried to compared it to the dissasembling video and it appears to have all the same markings!

I can't see why anyone would go to so much trouble to clone the housing and all the ribbons and antennas inside?

The Following User Says Thank You to Grazy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Singapore
i bought one of this:
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/White-Ful...9#ht_560wt_994

FYI, this is the same group with freetrade21.

I received it yesterday. Very good quality, no issues so far. Seems much better fit compared to the cyan one i got from freetrade21. I will put some pictures on it when i get the chance to.

The Following User Says Thank You to tanwg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tanwg View Post
i bought one of this:
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/White-Ful...9#ht_560wt_994

FYI, this is the same group with freetrade21.

I received it yesterday. Very good quality, no issues so far. Seems much better fit compared to the cyan one i got from freetrade21. I will put some pictures on it when i get the chance to.
so do you think its a copy? mine had a screw missing on the speaker ribbon which was odd? let me know how the camera flash performs? as this is meant to be brighter than previous flashes (on nokia phones) so if this is a 3rd party flash it may not live upto Nokia's!

i tend to believe that it is copy... where can they get so many originals? Although when i hold it, i cannot tell. Flash-wise.. I am not sure if I can tell since i don't take a lot of photos. But you can always move your original flash to the new case.

Yeah look, i honestly think all the ones coming from China/Asia are fakes. Think about it, it has gps antenna, gsm antenna, flash, front facing camera, all this stuff mounted in the body, with the polycarbonate casing - for $50 including postage?

How would they be getting all of these through Nokia, considering Nokia doesn't sell them

I also do believe some of them may be real, but taken from returned/broken phones

The one i received had a broken off screw in it, damage to where the sim tray is, and the flash didn't work

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Pretoria, South Africa
The cost price of manufacturing anything electronic related in Asia will surprise most people. Even quality high end audio/pc equipment. Its the brand that determines retail price. That's the reason why so many manufacturers are moving their production to Asia.

I'm with Grazy, these aren't run of the mill replacement housings to easily replicate simply by taking a mould. It has so many components already built in. Also its the small details that match up with disassembly videos that make me think these are genuine. Most fake Nokia products are easily identifiable. Some of these guys cant even get the logo right

I do think these are getting out of the Nokia manufacturing plant through some back handed deals and include units that weren't fit for production. Obviously I have no facts and is just my opinion from the chassis I purchased for $50.

My phone before:

My phone after:

I am sorry I am not a good photographer but hope these photos encourages someone else to go aheader with the chassis change and not worry too much about genuine or fake cases!

Last edited by tanwg; 2012-06-22 at 07:45. Reason: images not showing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tanwg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nosph3ratu View Post
The cost price of manufacturing anything electronic related in Asia will surprise most people. Even quality high end audio/pc equipment. Its the brand that determines retail price. That's the reason why so many manufacturers are moving their production to Asia.

I'm with Grazy, these aren't run of the mill replacement housings to easily replicate simply by taking a mould. It has so many components already built in. Also its the small details that match up with disassembly videos that make me think these are genuine. Most fake Nokia products are easily identifiable. Some of these guys cant even get the logo right

I do think these are getting out of the Nokia manufacturing plant through some back handed deals and include units that weren't fit for production. Obviously I have no facts and is just my opinion from the chassis I purchased for $50.
that is exactly my point better explained! mine has a few scratches within the case! not sure why? but one of the ribbons at the top still has the red plastic protecion on it? so can't work out if its new, and real? fake and new? or taken from a N9 as spares?

either way i agree its too well made to be fake! the ebayer i bought it from sells all sorts includng the screens! these cant be fake as they would be near impossible to replicate! look at the fake N9's you can buy for example? those are so obivously fake!

I dont see any complaints from that ebayer (freetrade21 i think). I'm sure they would be leaving negative feedback if they attached the new display and it wasnt as expected? and look at the other spares he has loads? even for the lumia 800/900!

Also why would the UK ebayer have real cases and those from asia are not? where would the UK guy get them from? there not even sold in the UK? Also note how the UK seller makes the point that everyone elses is fake? his price is higher and people feel more comfortable buying from him! he gets more sales!!

Last edited by Grazy; 2012-06-22 at 08:56.

Originally Posted by tanwg View Post
My phone before:

I am sorry I am not a good photographer but hope these photos encourages someone else to go aheader with the chassis change and not worry too much about genuine or fake cases!
loving the pics btw, I'm very tempted to do the swap now!

how did the internals compare when you had them both stripped down? I'm guessing its hard to tell?

I wasn't really scrutinising the internals... I was rushing since i have a kid to take care and houshold work to do haha.

The first cyan case i got from freetrade21 has some speaker problems. So i think his cases are not 100% good. But i am lucky the white one is good. Weird thing is the blue one came from Hong Kong and the white one came from Sweden!

If it is your first time changeing, please please use a good screwdriver and take care not to strip the screws.

watch the videos and detach/attach the usb cover at the correct angle, so as not to bend it

these are the more difficult parts when i first did it.

Last edited by tanwg; 2012-06-22 at 09:16.