Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
You can't plan disruptive tech/fads/products by committee.

The best incubation tube (and target/reward) for potentially disruptive development is an active and sizeable target market.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
You can't plan disruptive tech/fads/products by committee.
Agreed, but as someone has to have the ideas somewhere it's not just down to random chance, therefore I thought it was worth asking for people's opinions on what they think might make for useful disruptive technologies/applications/use-cases.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The best incubation tube (and target/reward) for potentially disruptive development is an active and sizeable target market.
Target market size is important to get acceptance and test things, but is not directly related to the development of "disruptive technologies" - that needs skilled programmers and people thinking about the future. I'd like to think we have both of those in the Maemo/Meego community.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
One disruptive technology which would be relatively easy to implement would be a Mapping/navigation solution which learnt your preferred repeated routes. For instance I often run sygic on the commute to work for the traffic updates, but it always tries to route me a particular way for the last few miles, which is always congested on a morning.

The idea about the calendar/alarm app being location and route aware, and monitoring the travel status and adjusting the alarm leadtime accordingly is a great one

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________