Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Hello everyone.

(and yes, I will still grumble )

I love the new N900 and Maemo 5, but one thing bothers me.

There is no vertical display mode for Maemo 5 (menus, desktops and software pre-installed) excluding the application "Phone".

I find that sad, especially since all competing devices with a touch screen and accelerometers have a display mode horizontal and vertical.

Moreover, the vertical display mode is very convenient: taking the N900 vertically, it can be used with one hand.

Without vertical display mode (and therefore able to use the device with one hand), many buyers may withdraw or return the device in store.

Then I ask myself the question that many people are facing a situation they do not understand: why?

Is this included in a future update?

If someone going to Nokia World, can request information on this subject to an official from Nokia?

PS: I'm sorry to complain again. But this is one of the few things that might not make me buy the N900.

Last edited by korbé; 2009-08-28 at 19:28.

There is no vertical display mode for Maemo 5 (menus, desktops and software pre-installed) excluding the application "Phone".
I agree that all functions ought to be accessible in vertical mode for one hand use.

But we don't know exactly what the situation is until it launches, and even if your worst fears were true they could correct this in a firmware update. And they would definitely do so if enough people complain.

Nokia's N95 launched without screen rotation for example, but got it in a firmware update.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
keyboard makes landscape the 'preferred' format.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Hello everyone.

(and yes, I will still grumble )

I love the new N900 and Maemo 5, but one thing bothers me.

I find that sad, especially since all competing devices with a touch screen and accelerometers have a display mode horizontal and vertical.

Moreover, the vertical display mode is very convenient: taking the N900 vertically, it can be used with one hand.

Without vertical display mode (and therefore able to use the device with one hand), many buyers may withdraw or return the device in store.

Then I ask myself the question that many people are facing a situation they do not understand: why?

Is this included in a future update?

If someone going to Nokia World, can request information on this subject to an official from Nokia?

PS: I'm sorry to complain again. But this is one of the few things that might not make me buy the N900.
It is up the application to decide. This was already discussed based on the SDK documentation in other threads.

Since you have been asking about this see this post.

Last edited by Paxicide; 2009-08-28 at 19:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paxicide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Good point!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
True but i dont expect to use the keyboard all the time. I would use the touch screen only for basic browsing and checking updates of widgets. I think it would be a good idea to support everything for both potrait and landscape view and the orientation can automatically siwtch to landscape with the opening of the keyboard.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Not for the HTC G1. Yet it have got a "landscape" keyboard as the N900

Originally Posted by Paxicide View Post
It is up the application to decide. This was already discussed based on the SDK documentation in other threads.

Since you have been asking about this see this post.
I was not talking about software third, but the Maemo OS and software pre-installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Watching the videos about the UI, there is one more question: Are there actually any scroll bars in Maemo? Because it's very nice to scroll through lists the way the video shows us... but, without a scroll bar how do I know where I am in the entire list? Sometimes it isn't evident.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
It's hard to do right. Even if you do it for system apps (effectively doubling UI work), you can't count on 3rd party apps (and on Maemo we've got plenty of those) to implement it, so you would get inconsistent real quick.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It's hard to do right. Even if you do it for system apps (effectively doubling UI work), you can't count on 3rd party apps (and on Maemo we've got plenty of those) to implement it, so you would get inconsistent real quick.
I do not understand how to develop software in the display mode you want (vertical or horizontal) may pose a problem.

Tags
maemo5v.disappointmentwar