hdmi type-d ????

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It's this simple for me: If you're gonna ask me to give up my built-in stylus, you better be bringing me an extra core, extra RAM, and of course, a compass in a pear tree. I would even let you forego the FM and IR transmitters, but that's it!
Not here. Well, the IR transmitter is not critical. But, the FM transmitter is sweet. I don't think I want to do without. Unfortunately, I doubt there will ever be another device that allows one to have an FM transmitter and is open enough to be able to boost its frequency as the N900 does. That is why I now have a second N900 in storage for when my current one dies.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by shady View Post
hdmi type-d ????
Type D
A Micro connector defined in the HDMI 1.4 specification[52][55] keeps the standard 19 pins of types A and C but shrinks the connector size to something resembling a micro-USB connector.[56] The type D connector is 2.8 mm × 6.4 mm, whereas the type C connector is 2.42 mm × 10.42 mm;[57] for comparison, a micro-USB connector is 2.94 mm × 7.8 mm and USB Type A is 11.5 mm × 4.5 mm. Source: Wikipedia

The Following User Says Thank You to larux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
@geoshia
WTF. WP7 for me? Are you kidding me or did you not understand my last paragraph. Only way to get support from where ever you want is to use Open Source. Also I do not want Phone OS.
And if you think you're going to get fully optimized code like Android or iOS you're deceiving yourself. I stand by Dual core as a minimum.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
And if you think you're going to get fully optimized code like Android or iOS you're deceiving yourself. I stand by Dual core as a minimum.
Why? Unlike Maemo 5, MeeGo isn't just Nokia, and if this device really will get updates from MeeGo as we're told, then it'll be much more long term than Maemo 5 turned out to be.

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Why? Unlike Maemo 5, MeeGo isn't just Nokia, and if this device really will get updates from MeeGo as we're told, then it'll be much more long term than Maemo 5 turned out to be.
Lots of IF's. I'm not looking for Quad-core Octo-GPU like poni-boy over there. I just want a dual-core competitive with what is currently on the market, with RAM to match.

And let's be frank. The N950 is supposed to be what, 90k+ in unit volume? What about the others? A few hundred thousand. Let's just say a few million just for grins. Are you seriously going to say that that's going to be on the same level software wise as iOS and Android which is in the hundreds of millions?

Look, I'm all for giving the MeeGo community the benefit of the doubt. Why can't the N950 be competitive hardware wise? If you give it some juice if the software isn't 100% that's no problem. When it is it'll be that much better. Underpowered hardware will only make it look worse at a time when it's trying to build momentum. I don't know why this is even being debated.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Lots of IF's. I'm not looking for Quad-core Octo-GPU like poni-boy over there. I just want a dual-core competitive with what is currently on the market, with RAM to match.

And let's be frank. The N950 is supposed to be what, 90k+ in unit volume? What about the others? A few hundred thousand. Let's just say a few million just for grins. Are you seriously going to say that that's going to be on the same level software wise as iOS and Android which is in the hundreds of millions?

Look, I'm all for giving the MeeGo community the benefit of the doubt. Why can't the N950 be competitive hardware wise? If you give it some juice if the software isn't 100% that's no problem. When it is it'll be that much better. Underpowered hardware will only make it look worse at a time when it's trying to build momentum. I don't know why this is even being debated.
Simple: all that processing power will affect the battery. Your argument seems to be (and correct me if i'm wrong) give us crazy power to compensate for shoddy coding because Nokia will drop it after the 24 month legal period they need to support it - which is a fine assumption after Maemo 5. But MeeGo isdevelped by multiple sources and companies, not just Nokia, and the N9/50 will receive the future updates, which, one would assume, will iron out the bugs.

Now, i totally agree that it should have great hardware and high RAM etc, but I don't want MeeGo to be an Android situation where, to differentiate from everyone else, the hardware manufacturers can only compete by jacking in more and more specs, so the average ***** thinks 'oh look, a high number, that's better!' with no recourse on, for instance, the battery life. The N8 is a bad example but the C7 isn't, it has a modest processor and works smooth and quickly. Maemo 5 out of the box runs very snappy too. Point being it's not all about the processor, but optimisation, as we all know. I, and i think most others, would like it more if MeeGo were built well enough so it could advertise the fact (for teens to understand) that "hey guys, we build our OS so it runs as well as Gingerbread but on a lower processor, meaning you get more battery life" or whatever. One of the biggest gripes about Android is the appalling battery life, jacking it up with a 1.2GHz dual core processor won't help that in any way. As has been said already, fix it at the foundation rather than using this band-aid approach

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It's this simple for me: If you're gonna ask me to give up my built-in stylus, you better be bringing me an extra core, extra RAM, and of course, a compass in a pear tree. I would even let you forego the FM and IR transmitters, but that's it!
I'd still rather have a stylus. Lack of stylus implies the touch screen will be the less accurate capacitive type, the UI is going to be of the pure "finger friendly" sort, and the zoom +/- is going to be some multi-finger gesture.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I'd still rather have a stylus. Lack of stylus implies the touch screen will be the less accurate capacitive type, the UI is going to be of the pure "finger friendly" sort, and the zoom +/- is going to be some multi-finger gesture.
I'd be surprised if this isn't a capacitive screen. Having played angry birds on capacitive, i'd rather resistive even if only for touch games, and things like mypaint. But it's about balancing it out and i'd rather have other things at this point.
As for finger friendly icons, agreed, although if there's a Theme Customizer for MeeGo then we can reduce them again

I am currently an android user and from my perspective maemo 5 was more complete and with less bugs then android. So yes I really think that :P

Might be wrong thread to ask but from what I've recall there was someone saying that harmattan will have a hw accelerated ui a year ago or something. Is this a fact by now?

Last edited by Lullen; 2011-05-12 at 15:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lullen For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland