Notices

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
I read the most recent "bye bye Nokia" thread by mchu6am4 today and I felt compelled to put this one together.

ill make this quick...........

Like so many of you, hence the reason for the existence of this community and forum, I have felt a deep sense of disappointment toward Nokia and this device in particular. Also, like many of you, I have been a Nokia LOVER for nearly 12 years and I was drawn to the N900 from day one.

I see a lot of b1tching and moaning here by all of us, myself included, and I feel badly that we lose supporters such as mchu6am4, so I am taking this opportunity to give my deepest thanks to not only the creators of this site, but to this community, and most of all to the developers who have helped to revive and carry this device and operating system once it became abundantly clear to me that Nokia killed it off and walked away from it.

I am not walking away from the N900 nor am i ready to walk away from Nokia yet, but i see how quickly Android is really taking a firm hold of the mobile market and making deep cuts into the market share that Nokia once had, and I might find myself owning one when i eventually enter the market for the "next best device".

I am humbled by the dedication that the developers have when they set out to keep our devices fresh and fun and useful, and I thank you all for the hard work!

much respect.

PS - to the mods.... i posted this in the applications forum because it is directed at the developers. sorry if i put it in the wrong place.

Last edited by ddiscodave; 2010-08-10 at 16:15.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to ddiscodave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
One nice thing about here is the direct link we have with a lot of developers and how we can see applications take shape during the development process

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
One nice thing about here is the direct link we have with a lot of developers and how we can see applications take shape during the development process
true words

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
I wrote this about a week ago and was just going to post it and the thread i was going to post it to was closed down so i saved it and knew it would be usefull for a rainy day. It has similarities with what ddiscodave said but its just my take on things:-

' I'm no coder,porter or programmer i even thought linux was a character out of LOST CLICK HERE.

BUT......

i have learnt very basic skills just running through these threads following and trying to actively get involved in many projects of interest to me in which i am picking things up quite well (albeit a little slowly) and that is all down to the devs and the non-devs who all have more knowledge of this platform than i have and have given there time and know-how in helping me understand all this a little better and i appreciate this alot.

This place has brought people together from all over the world from helping each other out to just chatting about day to day things and generally it is mainly about an operating system and a phone/tablet.The N900 is not for everyone and sometimes it takes a brave person to take the plunge and purchase something they don't understand, some hate it straight away because its not a polished item and expected more and then there are others who embrace it and understand that with a little know-how and patience they can get their tablet/phone up to a standard of features and usage that they will be happy with and accept and still know that newer and better application are just around the corner.
I am one of those many people who are happy with the N900. Is it because it's my 1st open source tablet/phone and i'm still in 'the honeymoon period' with the phone because i can do what i want with it...who knows,
but coming from symbian to maemo was a risk and i am so glad that i took it and an added bonus is becoming a part of this community.

People are right nokia could and should have backed the phone alot more than what they have.
but hey thats the way it is, so look at this website and take a long look at all the applications that have been created and ported to the N900 from all the developers and porters who work in there own time to help get our tablets to a good standard of usability and quality that we should accept.
This community should give themselves a large pat on the back in recognition to where we are at and what we have achieved all by ourselves.

Well done '

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-08-11 at 00:03. Reason: another typo

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Good posts from both ddiscodave and Bazza. A pleasure to read, and makes me feel better about continuing to be an N900 user. Shame* it was necessary for you to write it in the first place.

* specifically, shame on Nokia for doing such a lousy job of communicating with the user-base; see the insanity surrounding the PR1.2 wait if you need evidence

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
I wrote this about a week ago and was just going to post it and the thread i was going to post it to was closed down so i saved it and knew it would be usefull for a rainy day. It has similarities with what atilla said but its just my take on things:-

' I'm no coder,porter or programmer i even thought linux was a character out of LOST CLICK HERE.

BUT......

i have learnt very basic skills just running through these threads following and trying to actively get involved in many projects of interest to me in which i am picking things up quite well (albeit a little slowly) and that is all down to the devs and the non-devs who all have more knowledge of this platform than i have and have given there time and know-how in helping me understand all this a little better and i appreciate this alot.

This place has brought people together from all over the world from helping each other out to just chatting about day to day things and generally it is mainly about an operating system and a phone/tablet.The N900 is not for everyone and sometimes it takes a brave person to take the plunge and purchase something they don't understand, some hate it straight away because its not a polished item and expected more and then there are others who embrace it and understand that with a little know-how and patience they can get their tablet/phone up to a standard of features and usage that they will be happy with and accept and still know that newer and better application are just around the corner.
I am one of those many people who are happy with the N900. Is it because it's my 1st open source tablet/phone and i'm still in 'the honeymoon period' with the phone because i can do what i want with it...who knows,
but coming from symbian to maemo was a risk and i am so glad that i took it and an added bonus is becoming a part of this community.

People are right nokia could and should have backed the phone alot more than what they have.
but hey thats the way it is, so look at this website and take a long look at all the applications that have been created and ported to the N900 from all the developers and porters who work in there own time to help get our tablets to a good standard of usability and quality that we should accept.
This community should give themselves a large pat on the back in recognition to where we are at and what we have achieved all by ourselves.

Well done '
bazza your post is exactly what i think.
i love this community and without maemo.org my n900 would be nothing.
all what ive done on my phone from customisation over hacks to all kinds of programs are made by this community.
there are so many whiner thread and im really happy to see that there are ppl like me which love this phone and the community.
i wish i could press thanks 50 times for that great positive post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
@atilla

Thank you for your kind words,

This tablet is a hobby now and it is quite addictive searching for new applications every day to boost the tablets features and also helping out the new and old members of the community who are having problems, i can only offer little/limited assistance but i feel i need to give somethiing back due to me getting alot out of it .

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-08-10 at 23:25. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
hobby is a great word for it
but you are totally right.
it is a hobby and my phone gets every day a little bit better.

maybe i can someday control the world with it!!

naah just kidding

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Why kid?

It nearly controls me....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Yeah but Nokia and the more annoying members (trolls, fanboys, people who don't even try to use search) of this comunity are driving away those developers.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
idiotic thread, nokia fanbois