Active Topics

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
I haven't got my device yet, but since the day I heard about it I can't stop thinking & searching about this device. Reading negatives posts of proud N900 owners, doesn't scare me at all, it's normal that a device of this category has a few problems in the beginning. It's usually like that anyway, the first batch of devices have a few technical problems but once the 2nd & 3rd wave come it's all solved. And I'm sure they'll bring out a stable firmware that fixes all these minor bugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to God For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Yesterday evening at DFW meetup had my first chance to try N900...

I'm very interested in how "smooth" the dispay works and tried to look into that. I did make some observations, that do backup the folks here that claim it being "not so smooth". However, this seem to depend on the application.

In general the screen refresh rate appear (to my eyes) relatively low, between 10-20fps in 2D applications (such as web browser, picture viewer...) and there definitely is no V-sync. This I can see (as well as Texrat was witnessing) as tearing when doing horizontal scrolling while viewing pictures.

Then, I tried some 3D games... and those looked beautiful! There was Bounce that played very smoothly and no sign of jerkiness or tearing. It appear that in 3D mode the screen refresh rate is much higher, and also the V-sync appear enabled.

Please, remember these are my personal observations. YMMV...

Will I get one? Don't know yet... I think I'll wait a bit to the prices go go down a bit. I'd also like to try the camera and camcorder in normal daylight to see if they are good enough taking shots and videos.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by un-named_user View Post
PS: can you explain again where the hardware ID is?
/proc/component_version file

Use X Terminal and e.g. Midnight Commander to view it.

The Following User Says Thank You to My-Symbian.com For This Useful Post:
Hi,

to be honest with the browsing issues, there is lag and it is jerky on a lot of the youtube videos out there. The Iphone does have a better "smooth" scrolling experience as does the HTC HD2 (not used an n900 but based on countless video reviews).

However the checkerboard problem is something which is apparent in most mobile browsers apart form the iphone.

MB

The Following User Says Thank You to MontyBravo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zuhälter View Post
Ok, so the question is, txtrat and my-symbian.. where did you get YOUR N900s because I want mine to be made by THAT person cause these other guys sound like they got ripped off.
I don't think there's anything special about my unit. As I wrote, people having issues should check their hardware build ID, maybe it's different.

Secondly, it would be great if those having issues said anything about e.g. what software they have installed, especially if they use software from Extras-Devel.

At least two apps from Extras-Devel I tried had serious problems, including (apparently) a huge MEMORY LEAK that was leading to "Operation of the device suspended due to low memory condition". Uninstalling them brought the device back to fully stable state.

Lots of apps in Extras-Devel aren't properly opt-ified, either, and installing them may very quickly use up the WHOLE free space in rootfs. This also leads to performance degradation and other issues.

Software in Extras-Devel isn't of production quality and shouldn't be used by less advanced users. If they do it then it may be the reason of at least some of the issues they experience and blame the device for.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to My-Symbian.com For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MontyBravo View Post
Hi,

to be honest with the browsing issues, there is lag and it is jerky on a lot of the youtube videos out there. The Iphone does have a better "smooth" scrolling experience as does the HTC HD2 (not used an n900 but based on countless video reviews).

However the checkerboard problem is something which is apparent in most mobile browsers apart form the iphone.

MB

You are aware that 95% of all these "video reviews" are based on pre-release software and for all we know, even hardware? I think this video explains it well..

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
There are so many other options out there that nobody will care Nokia...really.
Catching up the half day I stopped reading this thread.

But what would be the other option? There are many, so picking one that is better than N900 should be easy?

I don't own the device, not sure if I can for a while so I really don't know that much about it. What I know is that crappy scrolling doesn't bother me that much. I expect the device, eye-candy etc to work good enough, but a jitter or occasional stall isn't a show stopper. Based on reviews on pre-production phones crappy scrolling and slow rss doesn't bother that many others either.

All in all its slightly scary that someone can be so pedantic about a phone. With all the crap sold nowadays, I would welcome you to be the head release manager on every electronics manufacturer, much less crappy products, less waste, less wasted natural resources - I think you could save the planet all by yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arpa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by solpete View Post
The iPhone GPU is twice as fast as the n900 GPU.
Oh, I didn't know that, in fact I had the opposite impression that the difference is minimal and restricted to video support.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
You miss the point of this.

The point is that if you're an early adopter for a new platform, you *will* face teething issues, and you *may* have a hard time or some missing features. That's the way of things.

On the up side, you get geek kudos for having a new toy before anyone else.

I understand perfectly that this may not be what you want, but in such a case, I'd suggest skipping the N900 for a few months, or all together. It has (and will) have teething issues.
Well said. And in addition to kudos for being an early adopter, the far more powerful aspect of having a Maemo device is the chance to support a better model of computing.

(http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=326)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever