Folks at OpenTablets created dedicated forums for Mer and derivatives:

Mer: http://opentablets.org/forum/41-mer/ (it's also an inclusive subsection for all the below).
Nemo: http://opentablets.org/forum/42-nemo/
Jolla: http://opentablets.org/forum/43-jolla/
Plasma Active http://opentablets.org/forum/44-plasma-active/

You are free to contribute news, discussions and announcements there. It's just a try to create a good community forum. If some other better alternative can come up - it won't hurt either. But so far TMO has too much noise, trolling and etc. which tend to drown any meaningful discussions, since there are no dedicated sections either.

With Jolla's device on horizon and Vivaldi tablet supposedly coming soon too, dedicated forums are good to have already now.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-09-28 at 05:45.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Another problem with TMO, is that Reggie is reluctant to pass content databases to Hildon Foundation, upon handover. Which means, that future and continuity of any content from TMO is unclear, to say at least. At best, we can count on some kind of read-only archive, which doesn't help to maintain continuity.

In spite of such sad things, focusing Mer Community forum over opentablets sounds like good idea. TMO is much too uncertain

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Another problem with TMO, is that Reggie is reluctant to pass content databases to Hildon Foundation, upon handover.
really? that certainly isn't good news :/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Estel,

Is there any particular reason(s) for Reggie's reluctance?

It would indeed not be welcome for it to happen...

Well, Reggie posted his reasoning (not very convincing, in my humble opinion) on mailing list. In my council times, I tried to convince others to start widespread discussion about it - to no avail.

Now, from one of latest Council's meetings minutes, there was info that Council is "worried" about fact, that most of Community and BoD candidates are not aware of this huge problem with TMO. It was proposed, to write announcement about it on TMO, but, instead, Council decided on *ridiculous* way - informing any BoD candidate *personally* about Reggie's reluctance.

Don't ask me, why to proceed like that, if this info is already presented for public (just not widespread, as it should be). I think it's another example of situation, where Council have good intentions and - formally - doesn't do anything wrong, but, in practice, lack charisma/determination, to increase Community awareness (and will to participate) about things surrounding The Handover(tm).

/Estel

// Edit

As for Reggie reasoning - basically, it circled around "being loyal" to people who created account on ITT, which is equal to denial of passing database to anyone, even if it's Foundation continuing maemo.org, accepted in referendum.

Now, as I'm not Councilor, so I don't need to pretend that it's raining, when someone split on Your head present false diplomacy - if You ask me, whole thing about TMO was upside down from very beginning. "Contract" to use ITT as main messaging board for Community around Maemo, with, at the same time, keeping this content owned by Reggie, instead of Nokia (just like it's with repositories, wiki, etc), using closed source engine, requiring payware license - congratulations to anyone, who invented such hopeless mix of (lack of) responsibilities.

As a result, Reggie is free to close this whole mess on first day after his contract's expiration, and show a middle finger to everyone. In spite of this, it seems that we should be grateful, that he is even willing to present it as read-only archive - because, in fact, he isn't obliged to. At least, it seems that *he* thinks we should be very grateful for that.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-09-28 at 08:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hmmm...I did read it on the Council minutes but thought the Council was waiting for the candidates to be confirmed first...

However, I saw you knew about it hence I asked about it...I've subscribed to the mailing list only in the past 2 months so would you mind pointing me to some archive in which he has explained his reason(s)?

Thanks...

It is "somewhere" here:
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/

As for details, today is meeting with Council and they have (at least, should have) direct link to it. I used to keep link + local copy archive of everything, that is important for Community, but stopped this archivist's work when stepped down from Council.

also, I have edited last post here, commenting on what I remember from Reggie's reasoning. Keep in mind, that it's my personal view on things.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Well I couldn't find his reasons on the mailing list...Did a search by author till the beginning of 2012 and he appears on 4 emails but nothing to do with TMO's future...

I've now read the IRC log of the council meeting discussing the situation with Reggie...It looks like from woody's comments that the NFP once having the rights to maemo.org would be able to allay Reggie's concerns and get the transfer done...

Edit: My apologies to the OP for the OT discussion...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-28 at 09:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: