Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Quick question....Any of you hardware guru's willing to gauge the doability/possibility of getting the recently released Displaylink linux drivers up and running on the n900? Press release by Kensington that I ran across today(http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...74&newsLang=en) made me wish for a dock again, and I wondered if Displaylink may offer somewhat of a solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
Any of you hardware guru's willing to gauge the doability/possibility of getting the recently released Displaylink linux drivers up and running on the n900?
The lack of USB host mode is a barrier.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
In hindsight, now that I have an N900 in hand...

I still find the screen too small for a tablet. I'm also still holding out hope for another "slate" form factor device a la N800. I find myself rarely opening the keyboard on this one.

That said, I'm impressed with how the UI makes use of the 3.5" screen. Overall it works, and well. So it's certainly suitable, IMO for a pocketable phone-- especially one shoehorned onto a mobile computer.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
There's a rumor of a N920 (RX-71?) that will be a 4.1" tablet (no keyboard). Dunno if it'll be a phone or not, though.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
...now that I have an N900 in hand...

I still find the screen too small for a tablet.
Having used an N900 for a little more than a week now, I can say:

If I could have the brains of the N900 in the body of my N810, I'd have the perfect device for me.

I'll refrain from commenting on software until after the final firmware is released.

...it's certainly suitable, IMO for a pocketable phone-- especially one shoehorned onto a mobile computer.
Yes, the N900 is a rather slick little phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
In hindsight, now that I have an N900 in hand...

I still find the screen too small for a tablet. I'm also still holding out hope for another "slate" form factor device a la N800. I find myself rarely opening the keyboard on this one.
Interesting. I keep the keyboard open practically all the time, mostly because of the keyboard shortcuts, but it also feels better to hold it that way, provides for a better grip... I just miss the task-switch button (now ctrl-backspace) so much As for the screen size, it's not *unusably* smaller, but I still find myself reading ebooks/watching movies on the N810 because of it (funny how noticeable the difference is when you go BACK to the 4.1" screen). That and the fact that the RSS reader has no fullscreen mode (yes, already filed for it ).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile