Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I look forward to seeing the videos someone posts.

In the meantime, I've got a solution for the movable window hack. I will no longer install it by default; there will only be a menu icon that toggles the hack on or off (without a reboot, only a screen refresh).

It does this by running the following script (as user, not root):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
. /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh
. /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
echo dialogmode=$DIALOGMODE 
echo stopping matchbox...
. /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.sh stop

if [ ! "x`grep -i DIALOGMODE=free /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs`" = "x" ] ; then
 echo "free mode: switching to static."
 sudo cp /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs.orig /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
else
 echo "static mode: switching to free."
 sudo cp /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs.window-hack /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
fi

. /etc/osso-af-init/af-defines.sh
. /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
echo dialogmode=$DIALOGMODE 
echo starting matchbox...
. /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.sh start
try it, it works!

EDIT: It only works if you have Easy Debian installed...

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-13 at 08:52.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just a comment. Firefox isn't going to be able to compete with the highly-optimized built-in browser. This is for people who want all the bells and whistles that come with a full Firefox browser, and are willing to put up with the browser being a bit slower.

I suggest trying the package out; if you have broadband internet, it will take about an hour or less to download and install. I recommend switching the CPU to "performance" before starting the download, it will really help the unzipping part.

If you don't like it, uninstall the package and delete the big file.

I do have a question can we still use the method described here in this thread?

Originally Posted by D'ohboy View Post
I do have a question can we still use the method described here in this thread?
Yes, as I said in the beta testing phase, you can untar this tarball into a partition and use that instead.

EDIT: I read your other post more closely. You can use that method (copy everything out of the image file mounted on /debian and into a partition mounted on /opt), but don't mount the image file to /debian yourself, use "debbie" to do it for you. This way, you get the "turbo loop", which is much faster.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-13 at 10:43.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just a comment. Firefox isn't going to be able to compete with the highly-optimized built-in browser. This is for people who want all the bells and whistles that come with a full Firefox browser, and are willing to put up with the browser being a bit slower.
Did you try Midori under Debian chroot yet? It is the speedy gonzales of tablet browsers.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
New version (0.9.6) with auto-installed movable window hack replaced with menu item that toggles movable windows.

The FAQ in first post revised to reflect this change; Iceweasel startup question added to the FAQ because Iceweasel's startup time is embarrassingly slow, even with all the turbo thrusters on full.

Thank goodness we have a good browser on the tablet already, eh?

Stskeeps: Yes, midori rocks the tablet when it comes to speed, and it gets 100/100 on the Acid3 test, too!

However, I couldn't include it in this package because it crashes when trying to use the Java plugin, and I couldn't figure out how to tell Midori not to use the Java plugin. There are several important websites (GMail and YouTube) that don't actually use Java, but they query the Java plugin, and that's enough to crash Midori.

If I uninstall the Java web plugin, Midori works great. If someone could figure out how to trick Midori into thinking there's no Java web plugin, it would be very nice, and I would be very appreciative.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
So we eliminate this step:
Code:
mount -o loop /path/to/currentimgfile /debian
and do what instead?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Stskeeps: Yes, midori rocks the tablet when it comes to speed, and it gets 100/100 on the Acid3 test, too!

However, I couldn't include it in this package because it crashes when trying to use the Java plugin, and I couldn't figure out how to tell Midori not to use the Java plugin. There are several important websites (GMail and YouTube) that don't actually use Java, but they query the Java plugin, and that's enough to crash Midori.

If I uninstall the Java web plugin, Midori works great. If someone could figure out how to trick Midori into thinking there's no Java web plugin, it would be very nice, and I would be very appreciative.
What version of glib is used in Easy Debian? I'm not sure it is related to this bug but with Ubuntu Hardy Midori kept crashing until I updated Glib from v2.16 to v2.18 as mentioned on the Midori faq. You can disable all mozilla plugins entirely for Midori with export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="" .

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-10-13 at 18:04.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Great work Qole - I have jumped in, too, and left for now my homebrew chroot. BTW there's now a very nice new version of matchbox-window-manager in the "hacking matchbox" thread, which presents modal windows in the centre of the screen, as it was before hacking.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice