Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by el3ctronick View Post
maemo5 announced that it is discontinued after 2 and a half months of life. during these 2 months they were saying that maemo will be their primary OS for all nokia devices. i think thats enough.
Hm - what are you talking about? Nobody - especially not Nokia - ever mentioned Maemo gonna be their primary OS. The exact opposite is the case - they always stated out that Symbian and Maemo will co-exist.
And with Nokia's move to QT - Symbian^3 and MeeGo really make sense - both of them. And I'm sure we will see great apps and updates - "even" for our Maemo5 small child - the "N900"
Maybe you should read your sources all over again - you may be missed some important sentences.

Last edited by HugoSon; 2010-02-18 at 15:21. Reason: Spelling

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
It's a mixture. :-P Sometimes bug reports internally get closed with a "It's already FIXED as I remember something, but I don't remember which exact internal release and don't have time to search for it in ChangeLogs or if a ticket for this existed to correctly mark it as a duplicate".
Hence sometimes things are a bit unclear, also because of Nokia's unclear branching policy - 3.* was PR1.1.1 as we all know now, but it took me a while to find out whether 3.* just included some "cherry-picked" patches, or if it was branched at some point from the internal "master" releases that will lead to a PR1.2 release etc.

Hope this helps a bit...
Andre, I thank you for putting together the notes that you do, especially given the quality of the material you get as input. But this is just not rigorous or sustainable ... It seems that Nokia's internal practices are not up to par with what end users and open developers expect. How can we put pressure on Nokia to publish official changelogs?

The Following User Says Thank You to jacktanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
Andre, I thank you for putting together the notes that you do, especially given the quality of the material you get as input. But this is just not rigorous or sustainable ... It seems that Nokia's internal practices are not up to par with what end users and open developers expect. How can we put pressure on Nokia to publish official changelogs?
I think when it comes to some fixes on closed source modules it's understandable if Nokia does not publish a ChangeLog that would leak some information about the code and its quality, just by the number of fixed bugs and the subject lines.
However, for those parts that are open source I'd expect it too.
No idea how to push them though, I think Nokia is totally aware about these community expectations and for PR1.1.1 just didn't do it because it was a very small update (still, that's not really a valid argument). Don't remember my chat on Wednesday with some Nokians completely though, hope my brain doesn't trick me here...

Hmm. File a ticket in Brainstorm and get some voters together?

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Yah, brainstorm is here. Please amend it / propose different solutions as necessary, since you obviously know what Nokia gives you better than I do.

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ve_changelogs/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacktanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Please add the Link to Brainstorm also to the first Post and a Link to this Talk Thread at your Brainstorm. Thanks!