Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Which robot is smarter: the one that does things without you having to tell him what to do all the time, or the one that needs constant scripts to do what you want it to do?

YOu are smarter than that. N9 and N900 are dumbphones, with a potential, and BIG if potential, to be smart.
What is a smartphone anyway? The only requirement is that it is "smarter" than a dumbphone. Than what is "smarter" and in reference to what? and what is a dumbphone?

This is an hopeless discussion. A once read that a requirement of a smartphone is that it should be independent of a PC. By that standard my first phone ever was smart, because it couldn't even connect to a PC.

The N900 is hardly a phone at all, but "smarter" than anyone. The first iPhone was also hardly a phone, yet it was "dumber" than most dumbphones.

Let's talk stock!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I was under the impression that a smartphone is just a phone device that can also load up apps (as opposed to "feature-phones", which can only run the features they have baked into them... And dumb-phones which are strictly voice with possibly some data like WAP/HTML browsing, email, etc.). That's just what I think without looking it up, mind you.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I was under the impression that a smartphone is just a phone device that can also load up apps (as opposed to "feature-phones", which can only run the features they have baked into them... And dumb-phones which are strictly voice with possibly some data like WAP/HTML browsing, email, etc.). That's just what I think without looking it up, mind you.
OHHHHH...Wrong!

But still the best explanation so far

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so it the one true answer!

"A smartphone is a mobile phone built on a mobile computing platform, with more advanced computing ability and connectivity than a feature phone.[1][2][3] The first smartphones were devices that mainly combined the functions of a personal digital assistant (PDA) and a mobile phone or camera phone. Today's models also serve to combine the functions of portable media players, low-end compact digital cameras, pocket video cameras, and GPS navigation units. Modern smartphones typically also include high-resolution touchscreens, web browsers that can access and properly display standard web pages rather than just mobile-optimized sites, and high-speed data access via Wi-Fi and mobile broadband.

The most common mobile operating systems (OS) used by modern smartphones include Apple's iOS, Google's Android, Microsoft's Windows Phone, Nokia's Symbian, RIM's BlackBerry OS, and embedded Linux distributions such as Maemo and MeeGo. Such operating systems can be installed on many different phone models, and typically each device can receive multiple OS software updates over its lifetime.

The distinction between smartphones and feature phones can be vague and there is no official definition for what constitutes the difference between them. One of the most significant differences is that the advanced application programming interfaces (APIs) on smartphones for running third-party applications[4] can allow those applications to have better integration with the phone's OS and hardware than is typical with feature phones. In comparison, feature phones more commonly run on proprietary firmware, with third-party software support through platforms such as Java ME or BREW.[1] An additional complication in distinguishing between smartphones and feature phones is that over time the capabilities of new models of feature phones can increase to exceed those of phones that had been promoted as smartphones in the past."

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-04-30 at 16:45.

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
looks like LG is also quiting Windows Phone. They know that WP means losing money + market share. The only Idiot is Nokia which believe that WP will give them the crown back. Poor Nokia.

And for LG news check gsmarena. Cant post link as im using Opera Mini on my N900.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
looks like LG is also quiting Windows Phone. They know that WP means losing money + market share. The only Idiot is Nokia which believe that WP will give them the crown back. Poor Nokia.

And for LG news check gsmarena. Cant post link as im using Opera Mini on my N900.
Theyr wipeing WP cause theyr are followers. I am sure they will some other OS when Android is doomed. So facts is this has NOTHING to do with Nokias shitty decisions.

LG is very small player. I am sure they will be killed before Nokia even if WP fails.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-04-30 at 17:36.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hmm... LG quit MeeGo before they released anything. The committed to WP7 and are now quitting that. They're part of the partners behind Tizen, could this mean a pending announcement?

Or is LG still confused about what they will do for a mobile OS next?

If you have to preamble with 'I don't mean to be/sound/etc but...', it usually means you are and intended to be or do exactly what you're trying to say you aren't. If you weren't, you would just plainly state what you're actually trying to say. Please dispense with the apologetic preambles.
I nearly apologised again (very English) but you'd probably lecture me for that too.

As someone that was born and lived in the United States of America, when I picture the first smartphone--I always imagined the Palm OS phones. Basically, a PDA with phone functionality was my first idea of a smartphone. ...Perhaps people here have forgotten all about Palm? I don't know where you're getting your impressions, but you're probably not an American yourself and unfamiliar with living day-to-day in and around Americans, and so unqualified to jump to such conclusions.
I live near Mildenhall and Lakenheath so I encounter Americans more often than you appreciate, a fair few have children at the local school with my own. My sister-in-law married a US serviceman and I'd say my nephews are very much American.

That said my view on the US perspective of smartphones is really based on the output of US tech sites, blogs and the comments sections they contain. It's obvious many have absolutely no idea of NOKIA / Symbian's heritage and the roll they've played in making smartphones what they are today.

Due to spats with carriers NOKIA didn't conquer North America in the same way it did the rest of the globe so I understand the general population not knowing but I think anyone who's going to masquerade as a tech journalist rather than just a punter with an opinion owes it to their readers to do a bit of research.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
While AT&T and Verizon may have plans to boost Windows Phone sales, and Microsoft may be doing everything possible to sweeten the pot for them, those plans may not be enough to materially alter their ongoing dependence on Apple.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2...the-iphone.php

Today, several news sites have a story saying that carriers are unhappy with the large piece of the profit pie Apple is taking. They say they want Windows to be more competitive so that they can put some pressure on Apple. So, according to all these stories, they are prepared to do their part to help promote Windows Phone.

I guess the desperate midnight calls from Elop have finally moved Ballmer to let go of some marketing cash. Are they trying to paint a more hopeful outcome to try and gain a bit more time for Elop?

My friends are evenly split between iPhone users and Android ones. They all seem to be enjoying their devices and all of them are probably tied up to a two year contract. That means none of them are likely to buy a Windows phone in a while. My friends who do not yet have a smart phone are very unlikely to buy a Windows phone. I think the iPhone is priced quite competitively right now and there is this perception that when you buy an iPhone you are buying the top of the line. The perception of Windows phone is that you are getting a cheaper, but less polished, less functional, problematic, dud. In the mind of consumers, a Windows powered device is associated with Ctrl Alt Delete, and viruses. An iPhone is associated with coolness, sleekness, simplicity, functionality. How long will it take for Microsoft to change that, let alone Nokia?

Could Nokia have done better with Meego? I think so. Meego devices would have had several technical advantages over Windows phones, but most importantly Nokia could have market them simply as *Nokia* devices. With Meego devices people wouldn't have the negative connotations associated with Windows.

I saw this advertisement on TV yesterday:

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2012/...ommercial.html

Interestingly it completely avoids mentioning Windows. It is so funny how the guy avoids answering the question "what kind of phone is that?" He knows that the moment he says the word "Windows", her perception of him will drop a few notches. The same is true of the consumers watching that commercial.

How much better if he could have said, "it is a Nokia phone using a new open source operating system based on Linux. It is like the iPhone, but more powerful and less restricted". She would have then wanted to get her hands on it to have a look. And she would have been floored by the multitasking and sleekness. She would have been saying to herself, "this guy is intriguing. I hope he asks me out."

And the Nokia stock price would reflect that.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Which robot is smarter: the one that does things without you having to tell him what to do all the time, or the one that needs constant scripts to do what you want it to do?
Problem is, you need the robot to do the *correct* things, but except for trivial things, only you can know what they are.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2...the-iphone.php

Today, several news sites have a story saying that carriers are unhappy with the large piece of the profit pie Apple is taking. They say they want Windows to be more competitive so that they can put some pressure on Apple. So, according to all these stories, they are prepared to do their part to help promote Windows Phone.

I guess the desperate midnight calls from Elop have finally moved Ballmer to let go of some marketing cash. Are they trying to paint a more hopeful outcome to try and gain a bit more time for Elop?

And the Nokia stock price would reflect that.
You know your platform is a big fail when carriers might support it so they can put pressure on someone else to share the profit and if they do then the carriers will probably send win phails down the toilet along with Nokia and probably Ballmer.

I don't think Elop is allowed to call Ballmer during none business hours he probably has to call some other dude at MS which will then decide if ballmer should wake up at talk to his biaatch at Nokia

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen