Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Did you guys ever hear of them screwing up a laptop or other computer and installing the wrong parts? They just did it to me twice in a row, the first one was missing the upgraded CPU and wireless card, and the replacement is short 2GB of memory. I just swapped the RAM myself, no way am I waiting another month for replacement parts or sending it back for that. What's the chances of them accusing me of stealing the memory now? God I hate them...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Did you guys ever hear of them screwing up a laptop or other computer and installing the wrong parts? They just did it to me twice in a row, the first one was missing the upgraded CPU and wireless card, and the replacement is short 2GB of memory. I just swapped the RAM myself, no way am I waiting another month for replacement parts or sending it back for that. What's the chances of them accusing me of stealing the memory now? God I hate them...
One more reason why I do NOT like mailing equipment all over the damned Earth just to get something fixed/upgraded/etc.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Yes. An ex-gf ordered a very nicely upgraded Inspiron (5000?) back in 2000 and they sent her a base-model. The order and the packing sheet did not match, the packing sheet and the laptop did. They had absolutely no problem taking it back. It actually worked out in her favor, as during that timeframe they released a newer version (5000e?) which was even nicer, so she ordered that instead.

It is very odd they did it twice in a row though.

I wouldn't want to gamble like that, regardless.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

It reminds me of McDonalds, always something missing from your order. Dell must be the McDonalds of computer manufacters.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
I have two laptops from dell and both times had no problems

Originally Posted by Zekahz View Post
I have a LOT of Dells all around the house (typing on an Inspiron 8200 running Linux right now!) and never had a problem either--but that doesn't preclude the fact that this appears to be a common complaint.

They bought Alienware out didn't they?
Shame the service depts are still off the planet.

I remember finding 2 Dell laptops in a skip (a Latitude CS and and a CSx). Both were damaged to some degree to make both unusable and no HDdrives. I asked for permission to take them, got them home and spent 3 days mucking about and ended up with a working Latitude CSx.
Just cost me £10 for 2 20GB HDdrives from the boot sale.

All in all was a fun project.

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
I remember finding 2 Dell laptops in a skip
What's a skip?

Originally Posted by Zekahz View Post
So did I until this...

Tags
customerservice, _dell_