Posts: 37 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Can someone check if the n900 is capable of downloading a torrent with transmission over wifi and doing some other stuff like browsing, talking over the phone or listing to music in the meantime.

cheers

Originally Posted by ccc1 View Post
Can someone check if the n900 is capable of downloading a torrent with transmission over wifi and doing some other stuff like browsing, talking over the phone or listing to music in the meantime.

cheers
Saw a video of a beta version of a torrent software - seemed to lag the phone quite badly - that of course may have changed as that was over 1 month ago
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Newer version in extras-devel is much better. qwerty12 what's holding it back?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ccc1 View Post

cheers
Yes, it can, however there's an issue with Transmission where it sometimes goes unresponsive for whatever reason. I'm not sure if that issue has been resolved yet. Seems to happen at random and we're not sure why.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Yes, it can, however there's an issue with Transmission where it sometimes goes unresponsive for whatever reason. I'm not sure if that issue has been resolved yet. Seems to happen at random and we're not sure why.
as long as transmission doesn't crash the phone i'm fine . are there any torrent clients for the commandline?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
rtorrent/ctorrent off the top of my head. Don't know if they'll work on the N900 though since Nokia conveniently decided to overlook Asia when releasing the N900.

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
multitasking and transmission go well together if i limit the peer connections to say 10 (i still tend to get good download speeds). haven't tried the version in extras-devel though, but good to hear it's even better.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Haven't had chance to try transmission on N900, notice it has many more options than N8x0 version which I had no problems with.

As edgar2 says, each concurrent network connection requires a fair bit of overhead, even on a desktop.

Will be interesting to see how effective reducing the process priority will be, e.g. renice <transmission's PID> 10