Longtime Nokia user here, and I recently picked up a N900 from the Chicago Nokia store to replace my N82. I just wanted to share some thoughts from the first couple days of using this new device, and see if there were any others like me who may have similar experiences moving from an S60v3 device like the N82 or N95?

Strengths:

- Phenomenal web browser, had high expectations going in and this thing has met or even exceeded them almost entirely

- Seamless transferring of contacts, notes, and calendar via Bluetooth from my old phone. I was pleasantly surprised to find how easy it was, really saved me a lot of time and headaches here.

- Camera is above average (was expecting a significant dropoff coming from the N82 and xenon flash, but the dual LEDs are providing much better performance than I would have guessed)

- Customizable desktops are very intuitive and easy to use, especially compared to S60. I especially like the calendar and music player widgets. Facebook app is a bit weak, but almost a non-issue to me considering how great the browser is.

- The screen is absolutely gorgeous, great resolution and brightness. I will add that it is probably the best resistive touchscreen I have personally used, in terms of responsiveness and accuracy

- Build quality is excellent. I have always preferred candybar phones to flips/sliders, but everything about the N900 feels solid including the slider. The black matte finish is very well done and gives this device a classy look in my opinion.

Weaknesses:

- Little to no Ovi/PC Suite support (I may be missing something here but it seems like most of this is TBD for the moment)

- Only 2 profiles (Silent vs. General), not that I need a ton of profiles, but I wish there was at least a Headset profile that would automatically activate when my headset was plugged in. Hopefully this is something that can/will be added via firmware or add-on application.

- Music player is a step down from S60 (which honestly was not even that great to begin with). I already posted my problems with syncing/playlists in another thread so I won't revisit them here. It is just disappointing that a device this powerful, with this much built-in memory, would not have a more polished media player out of the box.

- A bit sluggish to load certain programs. I find myself doing the "mistaken double tap" a bit more than I would have liked when applications take more than a couple seconds to respond. Once loaded though, multitasking is great and I have yet to experience any of the issues reported by other posters on this board.

Hope that was a helpful summary, I will try to post more thoughts as I go along. Really glad to be joining this community here though!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spot521 For This Useful Post: