I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums, but I can't find much posted in the last year. Is there anything else other than AMSN that works for video chat? That's surprisingly limited for a phone with a front facing camera. Or is there another protocal that can successfully do video chat on the N810?

Thanks

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Gimzo5 works for video chat between N8xx and a windows pc, not smooth video. By the way they aren't phones

Gizmo is locked down. No new users acounts allowed.

So is there no other option? That's pretty lame, I wonder why more work wasn't done by Nokia on this. They made a device with a front facing camera and didn't even encourage/develop a video chat app?

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Monroe, Washington
Is it technically possible to get Skype to work with the webcam? Has anyone ever tried? Because that would make a world of difference with Skype on the N810. Its so disappointing to have a web cam on the N810 but very little uses for it.

The N810 would almost be a new device for me if you could do Skype video chat. Has anyone really tried?

I think its impossible. Skype for maemo would have to be re-coded to enable the cam but this would take nokia to release the source code for the drivers ect. I think theyve abandoned the n800/n810 and just dont give a crap. They aint making anymore units and all production and support for maemo seems geared towards ONLY the n900 now. The best we can hope for is the community to hack it and make it work.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Monroe, Washington
It seems that way. I just hope that Mer's performance will soon get up to day to day use.