Well I finally decided that I can no longer be a loyal customer to Nokia. After the N97 debacle, and then moving onto the N900 I thought best to call it quits.

I do like the N900, great display, much better than my wife's iphone, keyboard is great for typing, apart from no long press for the blue symbols (yet). Browser is excellent, but a bit fiddly sometimes trying to navigate certain websites.

Camera is ok when it works, 50% of the time I take a photo and the shutter sounds stalls for a while and then usually the processing screen stays on for a while so you don't know if the photo has been taken properly, usually not.

My main issue is just the lack of apps, I love apps, downloaded loads on my N97, when it wasn't freezing on me! I miss Google maps, Nimbuzz, Fishtext, Ebay app to name a few that are all on the iphone. Also I miss portrait mode. I need to use my gadget one handed when needed and the N900 is just not up to that task and never will be based on what I've read, down to personal choice I guess.

Yes I know no multi-tasking (yet) and the N900 excells in that department, but I'll either jailbreak my new iphone or wait for the OS4 update (Nokia has taught us all patience is a virtue!)

Waiting for new firmwares from Nokia has tested me too much, lack of apps, and I feel this Maemo thing is a failed experiment and Nokia have taken a lot of people for mugs getting them to shell over £500 or so buying experimental handsets.

Nokia won't reply to peoples issues since buying my N97 last year they've hardly commented on anything, same with the N900, we just have to wait and see what happens, buyers should have more say I think is fair.

Apple support is pretty good from what I've seen.

At the end of the day it comes down to apps for me and no one can compete with Apple unfortunately.

Anyway got a mint N900 for sale which will probably go on Ebay unless anyone wants to offer me £350 for it and I'll throw in a free 8GB SD card too. Paid £390 for a new iphone on ebay (16GB model) but I never watch the movies etc I store on my N900 so 16GB will be fine. Just want my money back out of it.

I'll keep tabs on Maemo, Meego etc, but doubt it'll go very far.

Just my 2 pence worth anyway fellas.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to berty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
Originally Posted by berty View Post
Well I finally decided that I can no longer be a loyal customer to Nokia. After the N97 debacle, and then moving onto the N900 I thought best to call it quits.

I do like the N900, great display, much better than my wife's iphone, keyboard is great for typing, apart from no long press for the blue symbols (yet). Browser is excellent, but a bit fiddly sometimes trying to navigate certain websites.

Camera is ok when it works, 50% of the time I take a photo and the shutter sounds stalls for a while and then usually the processing screen stays on for a while so you don't know if the photo has been taken properly, usually not.

My main issue is just the lack of apps, I love apps, downloaded loads on my N97, when it wasn't freezing on me! I miss Google maps, Nimbuzz, Fishtext, Ebay app to name a few that are all on the iphone. Also I miss portrait mode. I need to use my gadget one handed when needed and the N900 is just not up to that task and never will be based on what I've read, down to personal choice I guess.

Yes I know no multi-tasking (yet) and the N900 excells in that department, but I'll either jailbreak my new iphone or wait for the OS4 update (Nokia has taught us all patience is a virtue!)

Waiting for new firmwares from Nokia has tested me too much, lack of apps, and I feel this Maemo thing is a failed experiment and Nokia have taken a lot of people for mugs getting them to shell over £500 or so buying experimental handsets.

Nokia won't reply to peoples issues since buying my N97 last year they've hardly commented on anything, same with the N900, we just have to wait and see what happens, buyers should have more say I think is fair.

Apple support is pretty good from what I've seen.

At the end of the day it comes down to apps for me and no one can compete with Apple unfortunately.

Anyway got a mint N900 for sale which will probably go on Ebay unless anyone wants to offer me £350 for it and I'll throw in a free 8GB SD card too. Paid £390 for a new iphone on ebay (16GB model) but I never watch the movies etc I store on my N900 so 16GB will be fine. Just want my money back out of it.

I'll keep tabs on Maemo, Meego etc, but doubt it'll go very far.

Just my 2 pence worth anyway fellas.
LOL not another stupid thread. OMG

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tiboric For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Forphucsake For This Useful Post:
Thought that would be the response.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to berty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
What else do you expect? Have you seen the amount of threads pretty much saying the same thing over and over? It got old after the first 5. Don't like it for the same reasons as someone else, add to their thread.....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forphucsake For This Useful Post:
I don't think this is a stupid thread at all - its a fairly reasoned explanation (on the whole) of why the OP is switching over. He points out the good and bad things about the N900 and explains that, for him, the iPhone is a better choice. That's not stupid at all - so long as people don't jump on him for having an opinion then we can use the views to help develop our device.

We know its not for everyone, and the OP isn't just a new sign-up looking to flame or troll...

Enjoy your iPhone, mate - hope it does what you want it to do.

I'm happy with my N900 as apps aren't a concern. Think it was obvious about the apps from the off-set though...! Also, re. "failed experiment" etc etc, I'm not so sure on that one. I think if you look at what Nokia were trying to achieve with this device, then they've probably succeeded. Its not perfect, but its a pretty amazing piece of open source kit... But that's my opinion :-)

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to stayloa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by berty View Post
Thought that would be the response.
Pretty much, it's like there are a team of jackasses waiting round the clock to reply embarrassingly to anything negative about the n900...

If it's apps you're after then I think you'll be a lot happier making the switch, and much better to sell the n900 now than wait a few weeks. I hope you'll get a good price for it

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Forphucsake View Post
What else do you expect? Have you seen the amount of threads pretty much saying the same thing over and over? It got old after the first 5. Don't like it for the same reasons as someone else, add to their thread.....
We can't just dismiss every bit of negativity though, especially when its reasoned...!!!

I do however agree that there needs to be a thread to link all of these posts together...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stayloa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
If it's apps you want then the iPhone or android are obvious choices.

I disagree about the lack of updates.
I know that some bugs are fixed but it has never stopped me from using the n900 as intended. Considering a firmware update was available 3 months after the n900 was released (in UK) I think Nokia did well.

Camera feels a bit 'clunky' but never failed to take a photo when required to do so. It has crashed a couple of times though.

I don't have to jailbreak my n900.

I have the freedom to do what I like I bought it - it's mine

Good Luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Just another attention wh.... Anyway, i'm tiered of people trying to drug attention of Nokia(or other) so they'll come to you and would say : " Oh, nooooo, please don't do that, we have update for you and everything". It's like all these emo kids that don't want to kill themselves but just to get some attention. just stop doing, noone really cares what you do.
Maybe i was little bit rude, but really....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye dookie, goodbye sam, guber99 lives!, hello samantha, i say hello