Notices

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I recall using WAP gateways back in the 90s and early/mid 2000s for my candybar phone, Handspring Visor, and Zaurus.
I would be surprised to find a way to process, lets say pre-digest a complicated website faithfully enough to do all of the government and commerce stuff we want; or even just visit a mainstream or pop news site get the crappy 30cm of NoScript links I need to click to authorize.
but there simply has to be a way to clean up or make a formatted static page proxy we could have running on an r-pi or other server we jack into an ADSL line or hosted virtual instance of Debian or favorite flavor.
The web is borken not the N900; I would love to help build an easy r-pi and downloadable OS image as well as a setup to give us the adapter we need to get back the full function of our N900, form youtube, to torrents, to web browsing; the tools are there but we need to move the work off of our phone if we can to fix the bloat.
Realistically I should be able to use a TI-83 and a serial to BT adapter with maybe an attiny to convert the logic to surf the web, but web devs got lazy and bloat everything by offloading to dozens of outside links to render a site perfectly for your screen to the point where we need to chew that crap til it takes 8 cores at 4ghz and a late model GPU to just view the modern web at normal speed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
COMPLETELY agree with you Mr. Tool
or do you go by your first name Bike?
Or isitalloneword Mr Biketool?

Anywho...
big humongous+1 to all you said...

And...concerning the internet being borkened ...
I agree as well...

In fact cue the the "borking" theme music !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2-gDQDYcTA

"Bork! Bork! Bork!"

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Changed the One tab extension to another which makes chromium to use only one tab. Now if I just would find a way to start from chroot terminal chromium as a normal user and to its own window without needing to start desktop.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
So reading instruction page for easy debbie sorted out how to start chromium to it's own window from terminal. From xterm typind debbie or debbie-sue and when the chroot environment opens typing chromium. But it still has the problem that there is no text input available. Now I found from some place online that deleting ibus would do the trick but that I would not want to do and not sure what is really the case here. And another is that chromium should open a little smaller window so that the top bar of Hildon would be in use. If someone want's to guide me through this I would appreciate.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Hmm... I'm not sure about the keyboard input thing but maybe you can/should/would like to try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
I'm not willing to start to mess around with lxsession configures cause at the moment the chromium has text input when started inside lxde. I do not want to miss that too. I tried using the "Set Deb HW Keys" script given with a launcher but it did not help. FN is the (Hah! Googled it to be sure cause don't want to show as a newbie and found out that pressing long makes the same as using key with FN! Well how about that! Has been so difficult to get 1 and other blue characters far left!) is the left arrow and RETURN is the same as ENTER, right? So I tried first launching the script and then opening chromium both from debbie and debbie-sue as a normal user to own window and then trying typing and using FN and ENTER but no text input.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Reason why I do this is partly this. I want to use whatsapp with my N900. First messages already sent. But with LXDE desktop it is a bit too sluggish.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
If the device would bare 1150 overclocking and would have swap tweaks I think this chromium would be a winner. But I drive -97 Nissan Micra with 1,3L engine so I am used to not moving too fast.

Still not got keyboard working on window mode. Or it is working: it writes everything to chroot terminal instead of chromium! Have tried different xbindkeys workarounds as istructed on easy debbie instruction page, tried to with script giving xbindkeys to all applications, tried starting debbie with different modes: debbie, debbie-sue. Also noticed while was gonna post image with whatsapp that window mode does not have access to home folder and mydocs.

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Still not sure about the problem but maybe you can try another thing: change the lines in debbie and debbie-sue files that says UBUSER=$USER to UBUSER=$UBUSER or something like that. But be aware that doing this you will get root access so be careful what you are doing. As always...

Background: when I was playing with easy ubuntu years ago I noticed that I did not have keyboard input in terminal when chrooted into LXDE. The above hack solved that for me. But maybe that isn't the case in connection with your chromium input problem...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:

Tags
chromium, jessie, n900 !