Really?

You know, I am struggling to find a definitive guide on what CSSU Stable actually does over PR1.3.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by skip0pot2mus View Post
Really?

You know, I am struggling to find a definitive guide on what CSSU Stable actually does over PR1.3.
Could this help you perhaps?
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Really?

Really!

hildon-home rotation via gconf and some bugfixes ... really!

I think having Orientation App and other bits separate is a good idea TBH.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Im waiting for a 60% increase in battery life... Aaaaaah such a dreamer / crack head

You could argue hildon-home rotation will decrease battery life due to the processing power of doing the rotations.
Personally I haven't noticed a major difference.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

Originally Posted by peter2p View Post
Could this help you perhaps?
To a layman on such technical subjects, no. None of that means anything to me, hence why I assume CSSU hasn't been installed propery. Does CSSU Make the desktop scroll faster, does it make the N900 crash less/more?, does it make the battery last longer?

It's no good saying to me, for example "upgraded to Tmaemo1, since it shows flavour of cssu "

It means nothing to me, and sounds like something very litte, like changing a letter in a menu from "a" to "b".

I'm not saying CSSU is a waste of time etc, what I am saying, is there is no information on what CSSU is and why we are installing it, maybe there is if you are a Linux programmer, but not everyone with an N900 is

Cheers.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
You could argue hildon-home rotation will decrease battery life due to the processing power of doing the rotations.
Yeah, actually, I was kind of surprised to find a note about that in the Qt documentation:

Note: The device's rotation sensor will be enabled when auto-orientation is switched on, which will drain extra battery power.
I've gotta admit, I also haven't (yet) chosen to switch from PR 1.3 to CSSU. I don't personally have an interest in using my phone in portrait mode, and other than that, it's really hard to tell exactly what the CSSU adds. I started digging in to the CSSU back in January (you can see my attempt to start a more detailed Wiki page), but I've since had all my free time consumed by another project. From the little I saw (I mostly just looked at the changes to the Modest e-mail program), I didn't see too much in the way of significant improvements, and there was at least one addition (offline IMAP support) that looked only half-baked and honestly kind of dangerous to use...

The truth is, it is really hard to find out exactly what the CSSU does. Bare changelogs are just not all that helpful.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
if you are a Linux programmer, but not everyone with an N900 is
Me neither, I never even have seen linux on a desktop...
But on the other hand, I'm sure nobody pushed you to install one of the CSSU flavors.
You could have chosen for the regular 1.3 firmware update by Nokia.
I can only speak for myself and I chose the testing flavor because i have some confidence in the developers here
to keep my device updated with the latest software as if he's brandnew.
I never had a phone longer than 2 years and now I hope to keep my N900 till there's a worthy successor
but meanwhile he can compete with the latest devices on the market
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I started digging in to the CSSU back in January (you can see my attempt to start a more detailed Wiki page), but I've since had all my free time consumed by another project.

The truth is, it is really hard to find out exactly what the CSSU does. Bare changelogs are just not all that helpful.
I didn't even realise you had started a wiki!

I agree finding information on CSSU to document a wiki is hard.
Stable and Testing features/changelog are also different, which has confused many.

Now compared Pierogi is a breeze to maintain the wiki pages (yes there's two!)

As for installing CSSU I use portrait all the time while on the go.
It has become an important part of my N900, for some it is not important. There is a thread by Mike Fila covering this issue of installing or not.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peter2p View Post
But on the other hand, I'm sure nobody pushed you to install one of the CSSU flavors.
You could have chosen for the regular 1.3 firmware update by Nokia.
No Peter, nobody pushed me to install it, if you search CSSU though, you will find it suggests that it is a fluid update from PR1.3... so I installed it, why wouldn't I? I'm not on here saying that CSSU is rubbish and has made the N900 worse. If you read my posts, I'm just trying to accertain what CSSU is and actually does to benefit the N900. As you can also read from my posts, I've had CSSU installed for a good few months now, and I have assumed that it's not working correctly, as I can't tell a damn what difference it has made to my N900.

Cheers.