Active Topics

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
I'm just getting fed up.

I'm a *nix guy, so this phone/NIT is not some bizzare OS and I can work my way around easily enough, but I've just hit a wall. Here's where I am right now...

I ran around with multiboot and NITDroid 0.0.8 (installed on the eMMC) which I enjoyed, mostly for the Kindle app, but I got bored with switching to a new OS, and after 3 weeks of booting into Maemo I decided to ditch NITDroid and just go back to bone stock.

Reflashing was easy, even doing so on my XP 64 desktop (currently have my Win7/Ubuntu laptop in pieces), but it annoyed me. Not having a simple command to boot the phone and do a master reset just seems like something someone forgot. I took it as a project and got it done, but it just bugged me. Like many other folks I tired to give Nokia the benefit of the doubt and loaded Ovi Suite so I could sync/backup and try that software, but alas, trying to restore just my contacts caused the newly flashed phone to fall flat on it's face. The poor thing was unable to even get past the desktop, so another reflash, and yep, getting more annoyed.

I had all my info backed up elsewhere, and almost all my contacts are based off Facebook/IM/Gmail and other chat programs, so meh I'll get them back and I can copy back over my music/videos/pics. I've gotten only about 30% of my apps reinstalled, and hit another wall. The current broken Extras AIM protocols 1.0 that has halted me from using AIM in the phone without loading Pidgin. (Yes I have tried removing debs, editing account-plugin-salut.postinst to no avail) This keeps my buddy list from merging into my contacts and I keep thinking to myself, why am I going through all this *JUST* to use AIM, one of the bigger IM clients in the US?! One would think this phone would have it setup by default... but no, we instead have to rely on one programmer who has done a great job on getting it setup, but once something breaks, we just sit and wait, try hacking around to get things working, etc etc.... it just... bugs me.

So... sorry for the long and tinged with mad/anger bit, but I'm just looking at this phone and thinking, why am I doing this?
I wanted a device that can make calls (check).
I wanted a device to play my mp3's without DRM-noise (check, with adding the protocols..annoying).
I wanted a device to ping, ssh, RDP into servers while working on them (check, with added downloads).
I wanted to be able to contact people via IM clients/email without using multiple programs (check, until just now).

It seems, the things I wanted this device to do, are all possible, and I've learned how to make them occur, but I have to make it happen. It's just like working on any of my linux boxes in general, but it is just...becoming very maddening. Seeing the other options out there being used by co-workers, JB IPhone, Android, even a Winbleh phone... I start to wonder if tossing this N900 until a newer device comes out from Nokia. Though sadly, I just feel like it will be all the same noise, all over again.

So folks, help me out here. I'd hate to go through all the relearning again, but good grief I am getting so sick of this device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderedcomputing For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
My tune-up utilities. See my signature! Also this device has only 256 of RAM that way it has to swap a lot more than Iphone or Android or Blackberry! More is always better! Size does matter!

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-01-20 at 01:36.

Sell it, $50. i buy it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clasificado For This Useful Post:
sorry, couldnt read the whole rant, but yeah, sell it. cheap

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
If you're a *nix guy you should be able to get a lot of stuffs working in N900, the stuffs that don't have fancy UI and absent from other phone. That's where the real fun is.

You might disagree with me, but N900 is not the kind of phone that preloaded with full set of well-cooked fancy applications off the shelf. Seriously and without any offensive meaning, from what you just described, I believe you should get an Android phone. I'd recommend HTC Desire Z, its look resembles a N900, with a robust hardware keyboard. (though I feel it running slower than N900, maybe I'm mistaken.)

And if you are going to sell it real cheap, tell me.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-01-20 at 01:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
It seems, the things I wanted this device to do, are all possible, and I've learned how to make them occur, but I have to make it happen. It's just like working on any of my linux boxes in general, but it is just...becoming very maddening.
I think you've just answered your own question there. I'm kinda amazed the n900 even exists -- the big money in smart phones is with the iPhone concept, a closed box which assumes the user is totally clueless, and as such provides him with lots of big, pretty icons to press. Instead, the n900 follows the Linux model and lets you do pretty much anything.

I'm sure you already know what you're going to find when you switch to a different device -- you'll find lots more applets available for your needs, but whenever you hit a limitation in one of them, you're just stuck. Unless, of course, you jailbreak or root or whatever the device, and then do _even more work_ than you'd have to do to get something up and running on the n900.

It's a tradeoff. A piece of hardware with an open model and a comparatively limited set of pre-built apps, or a closed model with a larger set of apps. Pick your poison.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Buy an Android man, the N900 isn't as great as it seems, mostly due to Nokia's lack of support. Love the phone, but I'd love to dump it for a C6-01, N8, C7, Milestone XT720 (not the Droid, it's a different phone and I love the body), or an HD2.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Here is one big reason to keep this phone click here

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Totally understand your frustration, but the biggest unknowns now is Android 2.4 and of course, MeeGo. Given that there possibly is a forthcoming announcement next month about MeeGo, I'd say hold out if you could for just a bit longer, then you will be able to make a much more informed decision.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Why would you need convincing at all? Go with what suits your needs. If the N900 isn't doing it for you, you should definitely get something else.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acidspunk For This Useful Post:

Tags
compare-choose, keep it, sell it, taggggg