Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
wait a second, you are saying there's _more_ apps available for symbian?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, sooo...

I've cruised my N810 app manager listings, Maemo.org's app listings, and OS2008's app listings and unless there's other (not known to me) sites listing HUNDREDS of Maemo apps, i'm going to have to say that Symbian has more than just a slight edge:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/software/all/

739 pages of apps (on just ONE site), many of which are the kinds of which i have yet to see for Maemo. And none of them involve any tweaking, editing, X Term'ing, or recompiling in order to work. My E90 has more apps successfully installed and working than my N810. Not because i can't figure how to make Maemo homebrews work, but because there are more S60 options available.

Don't get me wrong, i don't mind rolling my sleeves up and lifting the hood. But then i'm in the 4% of people who are 'into' that kind of thing, and i'm still in the 98% of that group who don't want it to spend a lifetime getting my gadget to work.

IMO, and i could be way off base here, tablets running Maemo are an 'enthusiasts' gadget rather than a mainstream gadget. IE: not many people are going to pass it across a cash register if they know whats involved to make it do what other options can. Iphones/ITouches (spit) sell 1 billionty:1 over Tablets because users want something that just 'works', straight out of the box. They don't want to know HOW it works (they wouldn't understand anyway), they just want to press a button and something to happen.

Tablets are not PnP. S60, on the other hand, is. At least in relative terms. 98% of the S60 apps will just install and go. Click 'install', done. Users like this.

Personally i'd like to see S60 and its inherant ease of use on a tablet. Even on my E90 some apps could do with more screen space. For instance, I use an app called Viewranger on my E90. Look at the app, the screenshots. Imagine that on a tablet screen. Nice.

Officesuite would be even nicer on a tablet screen than on my E90 screen. Again, more acreage. OK, i know you can run OpenOffice on a tablet. But how many 'Main Street' users would want to go through the trouble of installing an OS emulater onto their existing OS just to open Doc's? Abiword? Yes, ok IF you can get it working (and there seem to be plenty of posts from users on here can't get it to work), and you're happy to ONLY be able to open .Docs. Docx, xls(x), ppt's are all resolved in S60. Again, would you rather view and edit a complex .xls on an N95 screen, or a tablet?

It would be nice to think that someone, somewhere at an RnD in Finland is porting S60 to tablets, but i don't think it'll happen. With devices like the N97 coming up, the economics of producing a new tablet probably aren't viable. The N97 is the natural convergance of Tablets and Commies (with a mainstream OS thrown in!)

The Following User Says Thank You to ukjeeper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Niterói - RJ - Brazil
"i dont think so... but i wish! S60v5 is very good
Ps: its Symbian.. not Symbiam"

i know it just type the wrong key

---//--

Yeah i agree with ukjeeper... symbian have a very very very more apps compare to maemo... Its because this i made the question on this topic.

i think maybe nokia can just put the OPTION for symbian runs on the tablets, but i agree this is too dificulty to happen... :/

N97 maybe can turn the tablets more atrative for the simple people... because they are too close a one tablet...

Hey, one question outside the topic... Anybody here is from brazil? Or all people here its from EUA or other coutrys????

Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, sooo...

I've cruised my N810 app manager listings, Maemo.org's app listings, and OS2008's app listings and unless there's other (not known to me) sites listing HUNDREDS of Maemo apps, i'm going to have to say that Symbian has more than just a slight edge:

739 pages of apps (on just ONE site), many of which are the kinds of which i have yet to see for Maemo. And none of them involve any tweaking, editing, X Term'ing, or recompiling in order to work. My E90 has more apps successfully installed and working than my N810. Not because i can't figure how to make Maemo homebrews work, but because there are more S60 options available.

Don't get me wrong, i don't mind rolling my sleeves up and lifting the hood. But then i'm in the 4% of people who are 'into' that kind of thing, and i'm still in the 98% of that group who don't want it to spend a lifetime getting my gadget to work.

IMO, and i could be way off base here, tablets running Maemo are an 'enthusiasts' gadget rather than a mainstream gadget. IE: not many people are going to pass it across a cash register if they know whats involved to make it do what other options can. Iphones/ITouches (spit) sell 1 billionty:1 over Tablets because users want something that just 'works', straight out of the box. They don't want to know HOW it works (they wouldn't understand anyway), they just want to press a button and something to happen.

Tablets are not PnP. S60, on the other hand, is. At least in relative terms. 98% of the S60 apps will just install and go. Click 'install', done. Users like this.

Personally i'd like to see S60 and its inherant ease of use on a tablet. Even on my E90 some apps could do with more screen space. For instance, I use an app called Viewranger on my E90. Look at the app, the screenshots. Imagine that on a tablet screen. Nice.

Officesuite would be even nicer on a tablet screen than on my E90 screen. Again, more acreage. OK, i know you can run OpenOffice on a tablet. But how many 'Main Street' users would want to go through the trouble of installing an OS emulater onto their existing OS just to open Doc's? Abiword? Yes, ok IF you can get it working (and there seem to be plenty of posts from users on here can't get it to work), and you're happy to ONLY be able to open .Docs. Docx, xls(x), ppt's are all resolved in S60. Again, would you rather view and edit a complex .xls on an N95 screen, or a tablet?

It would be nice to think that someone, somewhere at an RnD in Finland is porting S60 to tablets, but i don't think it'll happen. With devices like the N97 coming up, the economics of producing a new tablet probably aren't viable. The N97 is the natural convergance of Tablets and Commies (with a mainstream OS thrown in!)
I have a few points of contentions with your post. First, I believe you missed the mark concerning app availability; sure there are more applications available for Symbian than Maemo (well, I didn't click the link, but I believe you), but that is only because of 1 reason. No, not because getting applications on a tablet is inherently difficult, or developers find it too hard to make applications in the first place, or anything else. It is because Symbian has reached more people and thus more developers.

Don't bring the mountain to the man (Symbian to the tablets), bring the man to the mountain (tablets to the world).

Second contention: Installing apps on Maemo is difficult; click on an application in the Application Manager and click Install.

Just because Maemo allows you to hack your system doesn't mean you have to.

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Second contention: Installing apps on Maemo is difficult; click on an application in the Application Manager and click Install.

I know what he means though. The repositories need work (some of the stuff i want i need to enable chinook repos, wget being one). then i had to disable the chinook repos to get the latest canola to work right. some things crash quite often. it took me forever to find the statusbar app that shows cpu/memory usage with the clock overlaying it that was in many screenshots (not in any repo that i found, but i found the .deb somewhere finally). i like fooling around, but to get things working with maemo there seems to be a little too much trial and error. even some of the one click install programs don't work. Sometimes i want to just be up and running without having to do so many steps.

ps i love my n800.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by foxdanger View Post
"i dont think so... but i wish! S60v5 is very good
Ps: its Symbian.. not Symbiam"

i know it just type the wrong key

---//--

Yeah i agree with ukjeeper... symbian have a very very very more apps compare to maemo... Its because this i made the question on this topic.

i think maybe nokia can just put the OPTION for symbian runs on the tablets, but i agree this is too dificulty to happen... :/

N97 maybe can turn the tablets more atrative for the simple people... because they are too close a one tablet...

Hey, one question outside the topic... Anybody here is from brazil? Or all people here its from EUA or other coutrys????
no prob

there,s rumors from some sites stating that since symbian went opensource... or is coming that way, so the future might be maemo and symbian becoming one, so we'll have to wait and see... N97 looks like a step closer... reminds me a lot of the n810... phisically

On your offtopic... we're close neighbors.. Colombia here

Originally Posted by [[ cold ]] View Post
no prob

there,s rumors from some sites stating that since symbian went opensource... or is coming that way, so the future might be maemo and symbian becoming one, so we'll have to wait and see... N97 looks like a step closer... reminds me a lot of the n810... phisically

On your offtopic... we're close neighbors.. Colombia here
I suppose there are rumors. There's also a press release from Nokia, which might be a better reference.

Originally Posted by buhao View Post
I know what he means though. The repositories need work (some of the stuff i want i need to enable chinook repos, wget being one). then i had to disable the chinook repos to get the latest canola to work right. some things crash quite often. it took me forever to find the statusbar app that shows cpu/memory usage with the clock overlaying it that was in many screenshots (not in any repo that i found, but i found the .deb somewhere finally). i like fooling around, but to get things working with maemo there seems to be a little too much trial and error. even some of the one click install programs don't work. Sometimes i want to just be up and running without having to do so many steps.

ps i love my n800.
Certainly there are always exceptions... But, I bet you would spend more time trying to find applications for Symbian (no central repository?), than you would haggling with an application every once in a while on Maemo.

...and unless there's other (not known to me) sites listing HUNDREDS of Maemo apps...
http://gronmayer.com/it

I'm not going to count the apps available for either platform. It's the same argument PalmOS devotees were making before their platform was abandoned. The question is more about the "right" apps and the developer platform, and in that regard I strongly consider maemo (and mer) significantly more robust for future development.

I'm seriously confused why, if you want Symbian, you didn't just get an n95/96?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland

739 pages of apps (on just ONE site), many of which are the kinds of which i have yet to see for Maemo.
there's 739 apps in that page, but i am pretty sure 500 of those are completely unusable on n800 kind of device with only touchscreen. And symbian v1 or v2 apps are not working in s60 v3 =>

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I have a few points of contentions with your post. First, I believe you missed the mark concerning app availability; sure there are more applications available for Symbian than Maemo (well, I didn't click the link, but I believe you), but that is only because of 1 reason. No, not because getting applications on a tablet is inherently difficult, or developers find it too hard to make applications in the first place, or anything else. It is because Symbian has reached more people and thus more developers.

Nope, no contention there. Symbian is much more widely used (mainstream), so there are more apps developed for it. We agree on that.

Don't bring the mountain to the man (Symbian to the tablets), bring the man to the mountain (tablets to the world).

Your first statement nullifies this one. "Symbian has more developers...and there are more applications available for Symbian". So surely it will be easier (more cost effective) to port S60 to Tablets than to port all the Symbian apps to Maemo?

A lot of apps in Maemo are like that, and thats good. But let me pick a couple of examples of apps i've dealt with in S60 and Maemo.

Screen rotation. Rotateme in S60. Install, done. Rotate in Maemo. Go into X-Term, gain root admin access, then either type in a script (or copy and paste if you know how), make sure you are connected to the internet first and try see if it downloads from a website.

Maps. Install GarminXT, Route66, Tomtom, in S60. Install, add packaged map, Done. Maps/Maemo Mapper/Navit in Maemo. Install app, THEN start to get into finding and changing XML files (Garmin maps for instance) and trying to figure out and create maps from maptiling software.

Not being too contentious i hope!

Tags
s60, symbian