Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Lelystad
Hi, I have my N900 for about a week now and have two issues:

- Is it normal for the front camera quality to be *really* bad ? (is this a driver issue that will still be fixed) ?

- Should the TV-Out just work ? I tried connecting it to two different tv sets and got no image at all (tried changing pal/ntsc but that didn't help) - or must I enable tv-out somewhere else ?

tnx,

Leon

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I don't have mine yet, but from reading the forum I know that:

a) yes, the quality of the front cam is really bad, but this is an issue that is already ficed in one of Nokia's internal firmware builds. So you will get a better image from the front cam sooner or later, when the firmware is updated.

b) Other people have problems with TV-out as well. Could be a hardware bug, like the bug with the non-working mics.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ldr View Post

- Is it normal for the front camera quality to be *really* bad?
Hehe. Yes, the pictures I have seen looked bad. Have not tried it myself though. It's "just" meant for webcams.

- Should the TV-Out just work ?
Settings > TV out?

By really bad is it particularly worse than the cameras in n8x0?
Anyone got screenshots / examples?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
See for example http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=40

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland

- Is it normal for the front camera quality to be *really* bad ? (is this a driver issue that will still be fixed) ?

- Should the TV-Out just work ? I tried connecting it to two different tv sets and got no image at all (tried changing pal/ntsc but that didn't help) - or must I enable tv-out somewhere else ?

tnx,

Leon
The front-camera is only 0.3 MP...so don't hope much for it.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
resolution doesn't say much about image quality. my nokia 6230 hat a VGA camera only, but the image quality was a lot better than what we get on the N800/N810.

i can live with small images for video call (actually, i don't want large images for video calls), but i want the image to be sharp and without distortions of any kind.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Lelystad
I don't mind the bad quality of the front-camera, that's just a gimmick for me. I wanted to know because now is the moment for using guarantee if something is broken.

I'll contact nokia care about the tv-out then, I really get nothing but a black screen.

Thanks for the response.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
I have just installed the mirror app in my N900 and was surprised by how bad the front camera is (lots and lots of noise). However, what worries me the most is that it also shows a band on the right part of the image where the colour and brigtness is clearly different to the rest.

The noise problem may be solved by that new internal firmware, but could that band be a hardware problem with the camera itself?

Thank you.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
I couldn't get the TV out working at first, but I found that it had been the order I had been connecting the two ends of the cable that was the problem.

Or at least, it works for me if I plug the composite (3 connector) end in first, and then the N900 end, but not the other way around!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post: