Notices

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Can you use Skype to call someone on a mobile phone number? If so would it be free if you are connected via wifi (and if not connected by wifi then free if within your phone operator's data plan)? He talked about it in the video but was not sure if the free part was referring to calling a mobile or if it was calling someone on skype.
You can call skype-to-skype, which is totally free. You can also get 'skype out', which is where you buy credit from Skype: You can then call landlines and mobile phones and they will charge your credit. I bought 10 euros worth of credit years ago and I'm still not out. Calling landlines is very very cheap, it doesn't matter much where in the world it is (you can check the prices on their site). It's slightly more expensive to call mobile phones. If you don't need to call a regular phone for a while then you must remember to do a one-second call to a phone (say, your own one) inside 6 months or you will lose your credit. Skype will email you a reminder in advance.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
You can call skype-to-skype, which is totally free. You can also get 'skype out', which is where you buy credit from Skype: You can then call landlines and mobile phones and they will charge your credit. I bought 10 euros worth of credit years ago and I'm still not out. Calling landlines is very very cheap, it doesn't matter much where in the world it is (you can check the prices on their site). It's slightly more expensive to call mobile phones. If you don't need to call a regular phone for a while then you must remember to do a one-second call to a phone (say, your own one) inside 6 months or you will lose your credit. Skype will email you a reminder in advance.
no such problem for me as i have an unlimited plan. no need to pay for skype out credits.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
What's with frings SIP client?
Isn't it possible to call normal phones via your 3G connection without paying anything? (since I heard that N900 has inbuilt SIP)

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
What's with frings SIP client?
Isn't it possible to call normal phones via your 3G connection without paying anything? (since I heard that N900 has inbuilt SIP)
Why add an app that isn't needed? VOIP works striaght off the bat, it did on the N810 too.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kassel, Germany
the SIP client on the N8x0 is already quite usable - together sipgate services i am quite satisfied with the quality and performance. It is not as good as our daily GSM and landline, but i can at least easily (read: seamless) select an contact and call him.

so i assume this would work as well on the n900.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Why add an app that isn't needed? VOIP works striaght off the bat, it did on the N810 too.
so you just dial the number and call it & it automatically uses 3G/Wlan to etablish connection, if you are connected?

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Does anyone know what codec are being supported in the standard build-in SIP client ? I'm a heavy user myself of 3G VoIP and I CAN hear the difference between say Standard SIP, Truphone and Fring while using a 3G connection. Truphone is the absolute winner, hands down !
On Wifi the difference is unhearable, at least to me.

see this link for some more info : http://www.henshall.com/blog/archives/001190.html

So I vote for the best codec support (if possible due to licensing) or an application like Truphone (or Nimbuzz or Fring if they want to play ball on the N900), fully integrated, using the Telepathy framework.

Truphone is more expensive but works really well and has a bloody good connection manager.

btw, I'm just a satisfied user, not affiliated with hem or so

i used the skype calls to mobile phone a few times, and i just signed up for an account but i never brought any credits so will they charge my service provider?

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I found the google voice rates better than skype for the places I call most and cannot wait for the GV/Gizmo integration on N900 as the google talk is implemented.
Yeah, and GV gives you a #, so you don't have to pay for a SkypeIn #.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Alabama, US
Found this on gsmarena. How peculiar is it that the N900 isn't on this list?

http://www.gsmarena.com/fring_offers...-news-1282.php

The Following User Says Thank You to supreuph For This Useful Post: